Default Buying a volvo XC90

Hi guys & Girls,
    Already being a proud Volvo owner, (2002 S60 2ltr T5s 291,000 miles) I'm now looking to invest around £15000, in an XC90.
    Could any of you guys give me some indications of what to look for in the way of any known problems, or what kind of age to go for etc.
    I would ideally like a loaded but slightly older XC90, opposed to newer with little in the way of toys. I like the extras, ie, walnut steering wheel, sat nav, heated seats, auto wipers, front & or rear parking sensors, rear (dvd) entertainment, and ideally the Volvo Premium or I think its now known as dynamo audio upgrade. I currently have the 300W premium in my S60 and it rocks. lol.

Could anyone with more knowledge than me advise me of what I could or should be expecting for my money, in the way of age, mileage & extras??

Many thanks, to you all!
    Steve.
    Last edited by music2ears; 01-15-2012 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by music2ears View Post
    Hi guys & Girls,
    Already being a proud Volvo owner, (2002 S60 2ltr T5s 291,000 miles) I'm now looking to invest around £15000, in an XC90.
    Could any of you guys give me some indications of what to look for in the way of any known problems, or what kind of age to go for etc.
    I would ideally like a loaded but slightly older XC90, opposed to newer with little in the way of toys. I like the extras, ie, walnut steering wheel, sat nav, heated seats, auto wipers, front & or rear parking sensors, rear (dvd) entertainment, and ideally the Volvo Premium or I think its now known as dynamo audio upgrade. I currently have the 300W premium in my S60 and it rocks. lol.

Could anyone with more knowledge than me advise me of what I could or should be expecting for my money, in the way of age, mileage & extras??

Many thanks, to you all!
    Steve.
    Hi Steve,
    Are you looking for a petrol or a diesel engine?
    I don't know much about the diesels, but if you are considering petrol engines,
    then this is what to look for:
    1- XC90 T6 2003-2005: avoid, early GM transmission failure.
    2- XC90 2.5T 2003-2006: 5 cylinder turbo 208 HP. Ok, slightly under powered.
    3- XC90 V8 2005-2010: 8 cylinder Yamaha engine. 411 HP. Impressive performance. High fuel consumption.
    4- XC90 3.2 AWD 2007-present: 6 cylinder normally aspirated engine, 238 HP.
    your best bet.
    The premium sound system with the 12 Dynaudio speakers (not Dynamo) you are looking for was available on optioned models manufactured between 2007-2010. Dropped in 2011, cost cutting. One of the best audio systems installed in any make or model. To figure it out, simply look for " Dynaudio Authentic Fidelity" label on the dash centre speaker. This system is a main reason why I bought my 2008 XC90 3.2 AWD. Very happy with it.
    As for the other options you mentioned, I think it will be a little bit difficult to find them all in a single used car, as opposed to order them in a new one if you know what I mean. However, try to find a 7 seater, very practical.
    Good luck, keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHITECT View Post
    Hi Steve,
    Are you looking for a petrol or a diesel engine?
    I don't know much about the diesels, but if you are considering petrol engines,
    then this is what to look for:
    1- XC90 T6 2003-2005: avoid, early GM transmission failure.
    2- XC90 2.5T 2003-2006: 5 cylinder turbo 208 HP. Ok, slightly under powered.
    3- XC90 V8 2005-2010: 8 cylinder Yamaha engine. 411 HP. Impressive performance. High fuel consumption.
    4- XC90 3.2 AWD 2007-present: 6 cylinder normally aspirated engine, 238 HP.
    your best bet.
    I would add to this that the 3.2 is slightly underpowered and its real world fuel consumption is proving no better than that of the V8, and possibly worse. However, the early V8s were prone to counterbalance shaft bearing failure under certain conditions and should be avoided. Were I in the UK, I'd go for a D5.

Default Update

Hi There,
    Thanks for your reply, I am in the UK and I think your right, I'm looking at 2008- on a D5, as these seem to have great MPG in ratings and from peoples actual findings too. I've also decided to up my budget too, as I've been advised that from the 57 model, late 2007, they made lots of beneficial changes to the engine and gearbox, and this made the co2 emissions far lower and that here saves over £500 a year on road tax. I've decided to go with the Ivory leather, (not sand) as i find the sand often is cracked and split, where as the Ivory seems a higher grade of leather. I'm holding out for the walnut steering wheel too, but if one came along with everything except that, it wouldn't stop me buying it. lol.
    But one thing I am definite on is the dynaudio and rear entertainment, the stereo isn't that easy to find, but the rear entertainment seems pretty common.
    I'll of course keep you posted. and many thanks for your reply.
    Steve.

Default News!!

Hi Guys, here is my update.
    I yesterday came home from a dealer with an 05 XC90 D5 EXEC AWD Premium S-A.
    What does the S-A mean?
    Its just what I've been looking for, it has sat nav, rear parking sensors, rear entertainment, sat nav, front heated electric seats, walnut finish & steering wheel, active xenon headlamps, tow bar pack, premium sound (but not dynaudio) 18" alloys, and the mileage is 94k. With 2 previous owners. My only questions are......

What service is the cam-belt due on an 05 model?
    There's a slight clunk on the steering, but only when you snatch to turn, rather than turning the wheel normally. (I don't snatch turn normally, its just something I did to check the steering out.
    Also one thing which is a negative, after picking the car up (not having driven an auto for 7 years!) I STUPIDLY slid the gear leaver forward whilst doing about 25mph, straight into reverse. (OOPS) Jeeze it stopped quickly, but it does now concern me a tad, as I'm a lazy hand on gearstick driver, and I'm now concerned about sliding it forward on a motorway/highway. does this not lock into position while the vehicle is moving? Sorry for the stupid questions, its just I found it a bit odd that you can actually move that whilst in motion in the opposite direction, and if I've caused any UN-seen damage already.

Otherwise, I'm so over the moon with it, my new pride and joy. As far as bodywork goes, its mint, hardly a mark on it to be honest, the only thing I'm going to look out for, as this one doesn't have them is, side steps.

I would go and clean it now, but its, -9oC outside at 9.22am.

Thanks for you help guys.
    Steve

ps, I thought all XC90'S pre 2007 were higher emissions, and in the UK therefor higher tax. This little (or big) brute is cheapy tax at £245 per year. opposed to the £460 tax band.

Default Volvo Forum U.K

Hi Steve,
    congratulations on your new XC90.
    As for the rest of your inquiries, I would suggest you post them on Volvo forum U.K, you will get a much better feedback,because as you know everybody drives a diesel in your home country.
    regards.