Default *****drive shaft*****

Hi, can anyone advise me on how to replace the drivers side front drive shaft. Car started vibrating upon acceleration then when checked noticed the rubber boot has split and grease is all over the show. This is the long shaft that goes into the transmission....
    Also can anyone plz confirm if the actual drive shafts used on XC90 & XC70 are the same? My car is a 2003 D5 auto XC90 AWD. I have found a next to new drive shaft but its off a XC70 D5 AWD auto, hence im asking. Thanks

Sadly, I do know how. The XC 90 has a single nut on bottom of LCA, but same basic idea. This is for a XC70. Break axle nut ( 36mm) with wheel ON THE GROUND or it will not come loose. Then lift vehicle and USE JACK STANDS if you value your life and limbs! Take off tire, Brake housing(15MM I think, 2 bolts) and bottom outer joint (ball joint, 14mm?, nut and bolt). now the fun. You have to pry the lower control arm down so the ball joint shaft (about 1.5") slides out the bottom. you do not have to mess with the tie rods, so don't. The only reason you have to take off lower CA (LCA) is because you need the room to get the axle out of the hub. Oh, and lay the brake caliper housing on something about a foot high to not stress the hoses and DO NOT let anyone step on the brakes or the piston will pop out and mess+bleeding needed. once the outer shaft is out of hub the inner will pop out if pulled (unless the vehicles right side then 2 12mm bolts and a shoe hold on the intermediate bearing).
    Carefully cover the hole with tissue paper wad to keep bugs, dust, crap out of the hole becuase in there is the diff and the rest of the tranny.
    Grease or oil the new axle, REMOVE TISSUE PAPER, and carefully slide it in keeping it in alignment. Bolt up Mid bearing AFTER you put outer axle splines in.
    Pat yourself on the back for saving money! put in ball joint, tighten to torque. Replace calipers, torque to specs. Rotate the hub/axle just to get the warm and fuzzy. start Axle nut BY HAND (no impact unless you want cross threads). Put on wheel, wheel studs, raise, remove jack stands, lower vehicle to ground and THEN torque wheel studs and axle nut.
    If you want to find out if the axles are the same (I bet they are) look them both up on a car parts web sight and see if the part #'s match. If the #'s match for the same year and 70 /90 you will know that they are the same. Good luck, be safe, and save your money by DIY!!

Default oops..safety always!

Jackstands are a must, but BLOCK the other tires. Only the dead people who DIDN't can really convince you. (trust a parking brake about as much as a gun "safety"--not at all)

Default not again!!!

when I said "take off tire" I meant wheel assembly of course......

Cool Safety inside

Both Volvo and Subaru saved our lives before.......only the Volvo's look, work, and ARE better!!!!