Default Strange Transmission Noise/Behavior

I have a 2000 V70XC; transmission was replaced last year. I drive a long route (200+ miles) for work. Yesterday when I pulled into the parking space at my last job, I heard/felt a clunk. Finished work and the car started/ran fine and I went up the road to see a friend - heard/felt another clunk when I pulled into the parking space. I still had a 100-mile drive home and on the way I began to notice a scraping noise coming from underneath the car (almost like very worn brakes scraping). The strange thing is I only hear the noise when I let off the throttle - also the RPM drops to idle and stays steady. When I press the accelerator, the car shifts into gear, the noise stops and it runs fine. Otherwise, it is shifting fine and there is no arrow, flashing or otherwise!

The noise is more prominent at highway speed but can still be heard at low speed. When I got home and pulled into the driveway (which has a pretty good uphill incline), I noticed that the transmission was slipping and the RPM went up higher than usual to pull the car uphill.

Any ideas? Is this transmission bricked? Thanks for the help!

Default Strange Transmission Noise/Behavior

While reading your post I was thinking about the exhaust hanging on the driveshaft or Cat heat shield rusted just loose enough to scrape. But then your last lines were when you got home.

Well if the trans was replaced once already was:

1. It a used or rebuilt?
    2. if trans replaced, was the converter also?
    3. trans lines blown out before hooking up the changed trans?

Doesn't sound good either way.

Thanks for the reply - my thought is that if it was the exhaust or drive shaft rubbing - shouldn't I hear it all the time? I only hear the grinding/scraping when I let off the throttle.

1. The trans was replaced with a used one (that had 75000 miles or so)

2. Why would you replace the (catalytic) converter with the transmission?

3. I assume the lines were flushed when the trans was replaced, but I don't know - the work was done by a friend who owns his own auto shop, so it was done by people who know what they are doing
    2000 V70 XC 2.4L

Is is true that a '99 xc70 does not have a distributor? I read that '98 was the last year a distributor was used. Would that mean you would only

change the spark plugs when you do a tune up?