Default Instrument cluster resets when starting

I know somebody posted about this recently, but I'm away from a computer for a while and the search function here doesn't seem to work on my Android phone. I remember something being said about the battery, but I would like to know if that was the actual fix. My car has a new battery, less than a year old. Of course, I realize that doesn't rule the battery out, but it sure makes it a lot less likely in my case; this makes me lean more toward a ground issue. I will have my battery tested tomorrow when the stores are open, but in the meantime, I'm open to ogre thoughts.

Lol...*other thoughts. Of course ogres are welcome to reply also.

WHAT exactly resets?

The entire cluster display is losing power when the key is turned off, resetting: trip odometer, digital clock, fuel economy, etc. I just checked my fuses and found a blown fuse on the number 8 circuit "light switch/immobilizer." I tried a new fuse and it immediately blew so I have to figure out where the short is in that circuit.

What year is your car? I know there is a difference between 98s and the later ones. Have you isolated the short yet?

I have a '98 and I understand there was a VIN break in '98, of which I am on the latter side. I was not able to isolate the short. I spent hours reading through schematics for the cluster, the security system, and the headlight system because the fuse that was blowing contains circuits for the headlight switch, the immobilizer, and the cluster. I installed a boost gauge a couple weeks ago and checked a few things while I had the knee bolster out, but I found nothing. When I was re-installing the knee bolster I thought I saw a little spark when the bolster touched one of the studs on the far left side, so I pulled it back out, and took a second and closer look, still to find nothing. I decided to try one more fuse when I finished putting everything back together and it's working now. So, now I have to wait for the fault to re-appear before I can do anything else. For now, my best explanation is that there must have been a gremlin living in there and I scared it away when I removed the knee bolster.

I don't think the clusters changed until the 99 model, but I wouldn't bet the farm on that one. Anyway, you likely touched the hot wire of the courtesy light on the bolster to some grounded piece... easy to do... but difficult to say what sort of 'gremlins' would be summoned from the abyss to haunt you for your transgression. Sounds like you may have solved the problem tho.

99 and 2000 are the same
    98 VIN break has nothing to do with the cluster, that starts with the ME7 engines

(BTW, not a clue what could be causing this)