Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Thanks for the link, pretty cool tool.

Off topic but I just have to ask Gibbons: Do you have a Volvo avatar for your profile in the Chevelle forums ????

Jeremy
    The Chevelle forum won't allow avatars, it's very family friendly. Most avatars are pretty tame on this site, but some forums, like on the road biking forum, are obscene. I used to use a picture of me on my alpine racing snowboard, it's fun to switch things up.

It will be interesting to see how the wrench works on other applications...
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

you will get some oil coming out when you take off the filter, but not the entire 6 quarts. you will probably need an extra quart to top it off after you change the filter.
    Correct. You will get as much oil spillage from the filter housing as you would doing a normal oil change. Don't forget to replace the O ring on the housing, and top up the oil after you've restarted the engine. No worries.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Aviator, thanks for the confirmation.

I received the heavy duty filter wrench from ipdusa today Tuesday (ordered on Sunday, shipped on Monday, basically UPS "Next Day Ground"! ). The HD version of the wrench is expensive at $40, more than double the AST V410's price. But it is very nice and strong, possibly lighter than V410. It needs a 1/2" drive instead of 3/8". I also purchased from Sears a longer wrench to get better leverage. The oil filter came out in no time.

With the filter removed, barely 1/4 qt of oil came out. I bought an extra qt of Mobil 1 just in case but didn't need to add any oil as the oil is still at the top of the indicator of the dip stick after everything was put back in place.

The oil change is finally done! There was more drama than necessary due to my ignorance. But next time it will be a piece of cake now that I have all the tools I need!

Thank you all for your help and suggestion!

Another wrench option is this Assenmacher filter cap wrench from Tooltopia. About $14 plus shipping. It's cast aluminum and very stout. Fits perfectly on my '01 cap and can be used with socket, box, open end, crecent, or even by hand with the cross bar grip.
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    Cold Weather/Touring/Premium packages
    08/01 Build Date

Yeah, I was going to get that AST V410 wrench you link to, but I wanted the tool to finish the job before my weekend trip, and only ipdusa in Oregon is close enough to send me the tool without me paying for overnight shipping (more than the price difference between the two wrenches). So I went that route.

Apologies for resurrecting a (not so) old thread but blame the Search function

Went to do an oil change today and was very surprised by a couple of things: the bolts holding the engine cover on seemed to be very unevenly torqued: some came off very easily, a couple needed quite a bit of force. I was really surprised by how tight the oil drain bolt was. It took a tap with a hammer to break the seal. Finally, the oil filter filter was really, really tight. In fact, I broke the IPD bought filter wrench (this one) surprisingly easily with no success in removing the housing. Had I read this thread first, I would not have bought this particular wrench in the first place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12