Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Brake pad replacement suggestion

Time to put on new pads. I want to get away from OEM because of all the black dust. I know every pad will create some dust. Let me know if you are using an aftertmarket brand that has good performance, low dust, and no noise. Also, I'm not changing the rotors (OEM) right now. Thanks!

PBR Ultimate (also known as Axxis).
    I've been using their pads for years... perfect in every aspect.

I've also heard good things about EBC Greenstuff pads (and to stay away from their Redstuff pads... to squeaky) I may try them out sometime soon.

For your criteria, I would recommend the Axxis "Deluxe Advanced" over the "Ultimate." Less dust, less noise, softer feel, easier on rotors and less expensive too. The Ultimates are excellent pads but they're overkill for a family wagon.

Thanks, any suggestioins on the best place to find these?

I'm using Akebono which I got from FCP. They seem to work well for me with minimal dust and good bite. Price isn't bad either.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by atbspinner View Post
    Thanks, any suggestioins on the best place to find these?
    www.importrp.com
    www.getcoolparts.com
    www.stopshopanddrive.com
    www.germanautoparts.com
    www.autohausaz.com

The last two links have exceptional customer service and super fast shipping
    and decent prices and germanautoparts only charges actually ship price.
    The top three links may be less expensive, free ship with $50 order, etc.

I'm very happy with Akebono Euro Ceramic pads, after being very unhappy with the dust from OEM and Greenstuff. Virtually no dust. Bought them from FCPGroton.
    Denis
    Bellingham, WA
    2006 V70 2.5T

Default New Brakes & Rotors are on the way!

Very excited just ordered the Akebono Euro Ceramic pads and powerslot rotors for the front. Just for grins I ordered the ipd wheel inserts too. Will arrive next Monday so I guess the weekend after next will be spent in the garage with my dad. Still working on my savings for a tune but it shouldnt be too much longer. Ohh almost forgot I also ordered the Simota Cold Air Intake!
    2001 Volvo XC - 82K Silver/Black trim with Rear Spoiler (for speed) ;-) Current Setup: Elevate/AutoTech ECU Tune, Mobil 1 Synthetic, NGK Iridium Plugs, IPD HD TCV, QBM Front Strut Brace, K&N Filter, Eibach Sport Springs, XC90 17 Neptune Wheels, Hankook Ventus HRII 235/17 Tires, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, Resonator Delete, R Coil Packs, Lamco (ala Subaru) Boost Gauge

Thumbs up

I just did a full brake job on my xc,

Akebono Euro Ceramic pads are great all around, I also did stock Brembo replacement rotors, SS brake lines and Blue ATE brake fluid and I must say that there is enough improvement my wife even noticed it and that is her daily car.

After almost 700 miles since brake job ( 3 weekends ago) the pads are nicely broken in, the wheels are very clean with barely any dust on them and the firmer pedal was a nice addition.

Default Shims and/or noise insulators?

I'm about to replace the rear pads and rotors on my 2001, and have just gotten the parts from FCPGroton. I went with the Brembo rotors and Akebono pads. This may be a dumb question, but I want to go in with everything I will need, if possible.

The box of Akebono Euro pads came with 4 pads and a small packet of Moly-Lube. The included instructions seem to be for a variety of styles, and cover both "tabbed and adhesive backed noise insulators" and "attached noise insulators". Do I have "attached noise insulators"? Nothing else was in the box, so I'd think so, but all that is attached to the back of the pads is a very thin sheet of steel with 2 or 3 rivets. (Photo attached.)

Or are there shims that I will remove from the old pads and reuse?

Thanks in advance! I just hate going in not knowing if I have everything I need...
    Last edited by nwxc70; 03-26-2010 at 04:11 PM.
    2001 V70xc, Ashgold/
    Sand, Premium Pkg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast