This whole damn process has me so frustrated that IÂ’m crabby and I too am sorry that I took offense.

But IÂ’m out of ideas here. Having done enough rebuilds I didnÂ’t think I could get the alternator out with out removing the intake manifold. But I also removed the PS pump and I can see how that could have been enough.

IÂ’m embarrassed to tell you that I did check out the bolts on the intake manifold and the top 3 were nice and snug. The two I can access without removing the thermostat housing (the middle and right) were way loose. So I thought hey these guys are onto something. Tightened them up, no difference.

I will pull the mani again and look for a bad hose or missed electrical connection or compromised gasket. But I still donÂ’t see why any of these would affect only #2.

There are 6 numbers on my ECU. I found one with 4 that are the same and I bought it for $100. But IÂ’m all but certain the car wonÂ’t start with it. There is a local who is supposed to be good with VolvoÂ’s maybe heÂ’ll reprogram it for me.

As a professional software developer (and part time physicist) it pains me to pay someone to reprogram anything. I have VIDA and when I first got it it worked fine (except it would only run on windows XP). But I donÂ’t remember the username or password that came with it.

Assuming I wanted to endeavor to reprogram my new ECU how is that done? I have a OBD to USB cable and at one point (years ago) I was able to pull dats from my cars computer.

So IÂ’ll check the mani (itÂ’s a 2 hr job for me now off and back on (maybe 2.5). IÂ’m just unclear what IÂ’m looking for other than obvious air leak.

And then when the new ECU comes IÂ’ll install it and she wonÂ’t start at all. Then IÂ’ll take her to the Volvo friendly local mechanic regardless of how much pain that will cause me.

IÂ’ll keep you all posted. Thanks for the input.

drGian