New to me, in good condition, but found the hose from the valve cover to the oil trap (vent box I guess it's called now) is cracked in half in the "accordian" section (see photos):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrokenPCVHoseSideViewFromRight.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	4844
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrokenPCVHoseTopLookingDown.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	4845

Dealer recommends replacing entire PCV system ($700) instead of just replacing this hose. I've had Volvos forever and I do understand that the mighty 5cyl turbo does get hot under the hood and causes plastics to become brittle. So I "get" the idea that it's best to cough up and replace the whole thing (paying them to do it since I understand parts alone are upwards of $400 and the job is a knuckle-busting time consumer). If I go this route I will have a dealer do it so it's warrantied for a while as well.

BUT, the question is, given it's a 2007, I'm wondering if it's worth a try at replacing just the broken hose for $20. Is there a way of verifying the rest of the system isn't plugged? I assume if it is, I will be making things worse by bringing pressure back into crankcase and forcing oil past seals, etc. If I decide to just try to replace this cheaper hose, is there a good way to check afterwards on whether or not the system is functionality properly, other than waiting for leaks