Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dsb View Post
    A friend of mine was thinking about getting an allroad and I was looking on Audi's site for them. You have to look under A6.
    The A6 may be the lineage for the AllRoad but it is not called the AllRoad.
    -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    The A6 may be the lineage for the AllRoad but it is not called the AllRoad.
    -Dick
    If I'm not mistaken, the new generation allroad isn't imported in the States anymore. But it's available in Europe. The differences between a mainstream A6 avant and the allroad have gotten smaller, being almost only cosmetic. The pneumatic suspension that can be adjusted in height can be now ordered on the A6 as well (as well as quattro of course). The allroad goes a bit higher, has an "offroad" mode for the ESP, and there is an option pack with a engine protection underneath and tires with deeper grip.

Quote Originally Posted by vtie View Post
    I would go further: its a step back. Judiging from the numbers, it's horrible. This is a comparison, based on the S80 (where engines both are available, manual transmission)

...........Power....0-100km/h....Top_speed....Average_consumption
    2.5T.....200pk.......7.7s...........235km/h...........9.2l/100km
    3.2.......238pk.......7.9s...........240km/h...........9.8l/100km

So, in the S80 the 3.2 is a bit slower in acceleration, 5km/h faster in top speed, but consumes considerably more! The 2.5T loses in power output, but wins from a much better distribution over the revs. The torque you have at low revs is one of the nice things I always enjoy with turbo aspired cars. Personally, I don't see any improvement at all, apart from the fact that you can tell your friends that it's a 6-cyl (who cares)
    I can only hope that later on they will also bring the T6 to the new XC70
    This is so typical how Volvo is run (ruined) by business people and not by engineers. The marketing thinks it cooler with a 6 cylinder unit even though it looks like the old 5 cylinder with turbo is better.

I would quote Ferdinad Piech (head of VW) who said something like: "Engineers are the best managers. They can count just as well as the economy guys but they understand the technology as well." Volvo, it seems, has not understood this. They should put engineers at all key positions.
    They should have also developed the 2.5T futher to be more compact and lighter, more powerful, lower fuel consumption and with chain driven cams. It is so obvious that the guys that can build cars at Volvo are not allowed to do it...

BTW Three year old XC90 are among the worst car in the Swedish MOT tests. More than 25% do not pass the first technical inspection! They are not road worthy... The problems are with brakes and steering links. Volvo admits that it is their fault but refuses to compensate the customers. How is that for being shortsighted? V70 is also far worse than the average. This is also so typical for the let's choose cheap components mentality of white shirt economy guys.

I don't know why but I don't like the front and back of the new XC70. It looks OK from the sides. )

BTW here are two shots of a XC70 next to 2007 Audi A6 Allroad 3.0TDI

A friend bought it for 136.000 Euro, yes you heard it right !! 136.000Euro = $ 179.000, It's got alot of extras but we still pay alot of taxes around here

The base price for 2007 XC70 2.5T is 75.000 Euro, USD 99.000$ with some extras I got an offer at 92.000 Euro's (US$121.000)

I still think the current gen. XC70 looks better than the new Audi Allroad, what do you think ?

Before....
    1993 Opel Astra GSI 16V
    1998 Volvo T4
    2000 Volvo V40 2.0T
    2005 Honda Accord 2.4 Executive
    2004 VW Bora 1.9TDI
    2007 Ford Focus TDCI
    2001 Volvo V70XC

Now.....
    2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD
    2008 Mitsubishi Pajero 4x4 3.2DiD

I like the rounded back, the front seems to have lost some of the muscle and appeal it use to have or should have. Still I will reserve judgement until I see my first one in the flesh

Quote Originally Posted by vtie View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the new generation allroad isn't imported in the States anymore. But it's available in Europe. The differences between a mainstream A6 avant and the allroad have gotten smaller, being almost only cosmetic. The pneumatic suspension that can be adjusted in height can be now ordered on the A6 as well (as well as quattro of course). The allroad goes a bit higher, has an "offroad" mode for the ESP, and there is an option pack with a engine protection underneath and tires with deeper grip.
    I'll bet a $ to a donut that the reason the AllRoad is not brought into the US is so it will not detract from the Q7 sales.
    When I went to purchase a C4 Porsche, I was told at the time that it was not brought into the US anymore and I should wait and purchase the new, at that time, Cayenne. Fat Chance!
    Seems like the same philosphy. without the AllRaod features the A6 is useless to me as an alternative to the XC. -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

I'll bet a $ to a donut that the reason the AllRoad is not brought into the US is so it will not detract from the Q7 sales.
    Exactly. The marketing people figured out that the Q7 would appeal more to the US market, and the allroad would have a chance in less SUV-oriented Europe. Dangerous guys, those marketing people...

Seems like the same philosphy. without the AllRaod features the A6 is useless to me as an alternative to the XC. -Dick
    Interestingly, the new allroad and the new XC70 seem to be diverging in different directions. Audi brings the allroad more back to a car (dropping the optional low gearing, lowering the maximum clearance, less SUV-like look). Volvo seems to be exploiting the offroad appeal of the XC70 more in the new version (HDC, improved approach/departure angles, specifing a wading depth of 30cm, which they never specified before)

For me, the XC70 is still the best mix. But they need to offer more performant engines in order to remain competitive. Especially a good 3.0 Turbo Diesel!

I find it unfortunate that they did away with some of the protective molding around the front/grill. In my 2002 it is a pain to clean, but it has saved the car up here in Tahoe, CA. The divets/chunks/cuts to the molding would be huge pieces of paint missing on the new xc70 2008.

Too much metallic eye candy on the outside, cheapens it.

Hope the XC60 comes through for me!

Default Re: new XC70

Quote Originally Posted by travelkids View Post
    I find it unfortunate that they did away with some of the protective molding around the front/grill. In my 2002 it is a pain to clean, but it has saved the car up here in Tahoe, CA. The divets/chunks/cuts to the molding would be huge pieces of paint missing on the new xc70 2008.
    The clear protective film such as made by 3M has worked well on our XC90 so I don't see that as a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by travelkids View Post
    Too much metallic eye candy on the outside, cheapens it.
    That was my initial impression from the photos but I'd have to see one in person to decide.

They have certainly added all the bells & whistles (except, it seems, an updated nav system). I could really use the hill descent control where I drive.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    The clear protective film such as made by 3M has worked well on our XC90 so I don't see that as a big problem.

I don't care for the invisible bras. They will yellow with time and quicker with improper care. Plus, with what they use on the roads here in Tahoe it would not be sufficient enough. Especially if it is taking nicks/cuts out of the Plastic now. I know near Hood River on 36 they use some pretty bad stuff in winter as well!

"That was my initial impression from the photos but I'd have to see one in person to decide. "

Must say its new look did turn my buddy into an XC fan from his targeted Audi!! As for me I will wait too!

They have certainly added all the bells & whistles (except, it seems, an updated nav system). I could really use the hill descent control where I drive.

Descent control sounds great.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast