Unhappy 99 XC will not defrost/smell coolant

This morning when I was driving into work my car would not defrost and then a large cloud came out of the heating vents. I can also smell coolant. I looked under the hood to see if I could see any leaks. Could this be the heater core? Help??

Quote Originally Posted by Oglinej View Post
    This morning when I was driving into work my car would not defrost and then a large cloud came out of the heating vents. I can also smell coolant. I looked under the hood to see if I could see any leaks. Could this be the heater core? Help??
    AHHhhhhhhhhh yep.
    First thing to do is to check your cabin filter as it's a (very) small possibility that if it's completely clogged this could be the result.
    2nd, you can drop the lower dash, you will then see the heater core and if leaking will be painfully obvious but if you actually are smelling antifreeze your heater us toast, fix it before it leaks inside

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that. I just replaced the in cabin filter last month. Monday I will check to see if it is leaking coolant and if so I will drop it off at my Volvo guy Tuesday. Thanks again.

Mine's in the shop right now getting the heater core replaced. Went through half a reservoir of Antifreeze yesterday.

I'm curious what the repair costs for this will be. Anyone?

Well, my car went in with the objective to replace the heater core, but my car was still defrosting and heating, I was just smelling AF. It ended up being one of my water hoses had to be replaced, which had quite a bit of labor along with it. Came to a total of $116, mostly labor costs.

If I had gotten the heater core replaced, my estimates after looking at prices for that part, and the amount of labor my indie mechanic charges, that it could have been close to $450 to get it done. I sure am glad that it was just the hose.

Default I was going to take it in to have the core replaced...

I was going to take my car in to have the heater core replaced, but after I took all the panels off and got to the core to see if it was leaking, I decided to do it myself. I ordered the part just waiting for it to come in. I got a new heater core for around $150.00. In the mean time I stole my moms new s60 so I am not complaining.

Oglinej,

Did you have some instructin to follow as to what parts to remove and how, or did you just go at it? If there is some good instruction and phots for this procedure, could you point me at it?
    Also, from where did you end up purchasing the new heater core?

Thanks
    Last edited by mynameismud; 02-19-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: jus cus

Hey Mud:

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...hl=heater+core (here are some pictures of an s70's heater core being removed.)

I bought my part brand new off of ebay. There are numerous sellers that have these. You just need to make sure that you get the right one.

Since it is the heater core the dash does not need to be removed. If it was the AC evaporator I probably would have taken it in.

Hope this helps.

Josh

Default Wow!

Thanks for the great info Oglinej!