Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ecbsykes View Post
    So far I've seen quite a few people recommend that. Maybe they are all wrong too, but do you mind explaining?

Volvo's stuff is a synthetic 75W-90 fluid "API GL-5" right? Same stuff as the Mobil...
    I don't think it will be good.
    Volvo 940 2008 Volvo Headlights

Default bevel gear fluid

My mechanic just changed my bevel gear fluid and he said he used Volvo recommended OEM 75-90 'stuff'.

Quote Originally Posted by BillAileo View Post
    Volvo's description of the fluid for the angle gear is "API GL5, BOT" for the rear differential its "API GL5, low friction" neither of these are transmission fluids. I hope the left over fluid you have from your dealer's changing of the bevel gear is API GL5 BOT and not a transmission fluid. The API GL5, BOT oil is an extra low foaming lubricant while the API GL5 specified for the differential is not. Although the amount dealers change for these lubricants is significant, the quantity required is not. I stick with the OEM lubricants for these expensive to replace components.
    Agree 100%

Not worth the price difference for such small quantities, and low service interval.

'98 V70XC/446AWHP/347WTq / M66 AWD/ Built RN Motor/ Dual VVT head/Enem Cams/TurboTuner ECU/1000cc injectors/ LGSpeed Header/ Custom Intake Manifold/PTE 6262bb + 3" DP/ FMIC/ Water Injection/ 3" intake pipe/ Greddy BOV/ Apexi AVC-R /Column 3-pod: AEM AFR meter/ Dual Boost/Pyrometer/ IPD Sways/ IPD endlinks/ Kaplhenke AWD Suspension/ 18" Motegi 116/ IPD BBK/ Rear Custom BBK/ 3" dual 14834 Magnaflows/ EST H/L's/ SharpHID Hi/Lo&Fogs 4500K/60-100 in 4.3sec 1/4 mile 110mph

Default bevel gear - Castrol 75W90 100% Synthetic - 60k km no problems

Last year I removed the bevel gear and replaced coupling that typically fails, took the oportumity ro perform the service on it as well once i finished, i filled it up with Castrol 75W90 full synthetic oil (didn't even give it a second thought after seeing what was inside) and poped it back in place and way i went. It is now 60,000 km later, and i haven't heard anything from that part of the engine, also no leaks and no problems.

Since then, I also changed one rear drive shaft (broke it while messing around in the snow) changed a rear bearing twice (first one was 75$ internet special, the scond was from the dealer at 260$), i have also blead my brakes and replaced the fluid completely, i have flushed the rad, and replaced the damn fuil fill hinge twice.

Now i am about to change the rear differential oil, i see a lot of talk (As usual) about which oil to use ... once again, i will go with my gut feeling and stick with the full synthetic 75W90. Way i see it, is if all it is is gears and bearings it should be fine, now if that oil is shared (like what Honda does, it is used ny the AWD clutch) that 75W90 is definatelly not the right oil.

Any comments?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12