Question flutter sound behind steering wheel

my 2004 xc90 is making a weird fluttering sound. it is coming from within the dash behind the steering wheel. i notice it most often upon starting the car in the cold and when i turned on the fan. anyone else experience this? i have an appointment with the dealer next week. i would love to get your thoughts before then.

Perhaps a leaf hitting the fan...this happened in my landcruiser. Fall Leaves can get anywhere.
    airlaird

Default fluttering behind steering wheel

Hi I know exactly the noise you are talking about. I have taken my XC90 in numerous times and finally this is the answer I got. Apparently, there are flaps in the dash that control your heating and cooling system. When you your use your Auto button to control your heating and cooling these flaps are continuously adjusting to regulate the temperature. This is what causes the noise, are these flaps opening and closing. Apparently, this is a common complaint and Volvo is aware of it. My dealership says that Volvo may have a fix for this soon, as it is sucha a common complaint. I hope this helps. If you get a better explanation please let me know.