Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best year xc?

Default Best year xc?

I am looking to buy a first generation v70 xc. What years is the best, most dependable. What are the problem areas and approx costs to fix. Do thest years use the viscous coupling awd.

I would say a 2000 only because it has a 5 speed tranny, the only year.
    Some say 98's, as they have 4.4 motronic engine managements and not the failure prone Bosch ME7 with their electronic throttle bodies as 99 and 2000 have.
    There are good and bad points for both, choice is up to you.
    If you're on the East coast I can hook you up with a good one whatever year you choose

Quote Originally Posted by big boss man View Post
    I am looking to buy a first generation v70 xc. What years is the best, most dependable. What are the problem areas and approx costs to fix. Do these years use the viscous coupling awd?
    Yes, they do. There are several threads here relating to the AWD system for the early V70 XC's.
    1978 242 DL Sedan
    1989 240 DL Wagon (Beige)
    1989 240 DL Wagon (Silver)
    2000 V70 XC Moondust
    2000 V70 XC SE Moondust

Default Other problem areas?

If I am going to test drive one what are the areas that I should pay close attentions to

Default Research first!

I bought my 2000 XC in August, 2006. I've had expensive trouble with the angle gear and drive shaft ($3100). And now it's leaking again. AFter reading a lot of the threads on the angle gear-drive shaft problems of the 1998-2000 models, I wish I would have gone for a 2001 or newer model.
    I would strongly urge you to read about the design flaws of the 1998-2000 AWD models on this Forum, before you decide to buy. In the long run it will save you $$$ and headaches.
    Greybeard
    2000 V70 XC-SE
    2002 Camaro Z28
    2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500

"The ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."

OK, so you say that the 2000 models are the only ones with a 5 speed tranny, does that mean that the other years all have 4 speed trannys? Kind of surprising, but I guess since its an automatic I never really counted them as I drive. The manual for the car says 5 speed, but that could be just for regular V/S 70s. I could just be misinformed too, can someone help me out on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhipdefuser View Post
    OK, so you say that the 2000 models are the only ones with a 5 speed tranny, does that mean that the other years all have 4 speed trannys? Kind of surprising, but I guess since its an automatic I never really counted them as I drive. The manual for the car says 5 speed, but that could be just for regular V/S 70s. I could just be misinformed too, can someone help me out on this one?
    Aw gees.
    ALL MANUAL transmissions, 5 speed.
    Automatics:
    1999 (and earlier) FOUR speeds
    2000 (and newer) FIVE speeds
    ALL MODELS

No exceptions
    You don't have to count. Look at the shift pattern on the console.
    98 and 99 have one less gear (slot), The 4 speeds have 3, the 5 speeds have 4.
    Volvos (and many other manufacturers) leave out one gear position on the selector

Default should I just go with a FWD model

I am looking for the extra clearance, I do alot of mtbiking and trail head can be rough on low cars. Should I just get a standared v70 and put a rack on it?

Quote Originally Posted by big boss man View Post
    I am looking for the extra clearance, I do alot of mtbiking and trail head can be rough on low cars. Should I just get a standared v70 and put a rack on it?
    I dunno.
    Depends on really what you need the wagon for.
    Less traction off road for sure and you MAY have a ground clearence problem as standard V70's are faily low.
    That extra inch or so of ground clearance really helps.
    More reliable, absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Aw gees.
    ALL MANUAL transmissions, 5 speed.
    Automatics:
    1999 (and earlier) FOUR speeds
    2000 (and newer) FIVE speeds
    ALL MODELS

No exceptions
    You don't have to count. Look at the shift pattern on the console.
    98 and 99 have one less gear (slot), The 4 speeds have 3, the 5 speeds have 4.
    Volvos (and many other manufacturers) leave out one gear position on the selector
    Funny, my Automatic 2000 V70XC SE (end of production run) only has 4 gears on the console. D,1,2,3.

Four speed as far as I can tell - unless the (W)inter mode is considered the 5th gear.

I'm not sure I understand. What is the 5th gear? Winter mode, or some invisible gear not showing on the console?
    1978 242 DL Sedan
    1989 240 DL Wagon (Beige)
    1989 240 DL Wagon (Silver)
    2000 V70 XC Moondust
    2000 V70 XC SE Moondust

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast