Default Newbie, Hi all. Looking forward to your opinions on a 2004 XX90

I'm reviewing the threads posted on this informative site. I would love to hear from you guys on your opinions about 2004 models. I'm currently got my eye on a 2004 2.5T FWD XC90. It has 46k miles and wondering if it might still have the factory warranty. I read that the T6 have more problems due to GM tranny and rare 3 row seating and some minor repairs. Should there be anything I should be looking at when I go look at this car tommorrow? They are asking 21k for it. I'm just worried about tranny and turbo. I currently have a 850 T-5 and she has been good to me.

Why are you worried aboy the tranny and turbo?? 2.5 has been around a long time with the matched tranny, most stable of the bunch. Any vehicle
    can have issues, they are just machines and they break.

Have they changed the oil on schedule? Has it been abused? Easy way to
    tell how it has been drive is to ask if they have replaced the brakes, and
    or tires and how many times they have been replaced. Who did the work? Dealer or other... Do they have recepts? Any other work done under warrenty?
    2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005

Also... I dont think the T6 has more issues, it is just that some folks didnt
    like the way it shifted. I dont think the reliability was any different
    2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005

Quote Originally Posted by ajusaf View Post
    2004 2.5T FWD XC90

Are there realy XC90`s with FWD? I thought all were AWD? I don`t know where you live and what the weather conditions is at your place, but remember its a heavy car to get up snowy/icy hills and AWD can be a +
    NO(R)WAY

There really are xc90s that are FWD only.

I wouldn't say that the 5cylinder transmission has been trouble free, but believe that Volvo fixed most of them in service. Do a search for flare or transmission flare on this site and you'll get the idea. Personally I remain wary of the transmission's longevity

If buying from a dealer you should get a certified vehicle warranty.
    14xc60 3.0T
    03xc70 (Killed 12/16)
    1998 v70 (retired)

Should there be anything I should be looking at when I go look at this car tommorrow?.
    Documentation, documentation, documentation. Now, having said that I didn't have any documentation on my XC when I bought it and it's been a great car for me so far. IIRC, there may be some transmission "flare" issues that the other members talk about, but I think you'll be OK and if you're not then software downloads should take care of those issues.

You'd be getting roughly the same powertrain that Volvo's been using since 1994. It's also the same basic powertrain that's in my XC. Difference are (of course) transmission software, engine managment, ignition systems etc... IMO it's the most reliable setup you can get for these vehicles. Treat it real nice like and it'll be a great vehicle.

I currently have a 850 T-5 and she has been good to me.
    Does that mean you're selling soon? Wagon or sedan?
    98 XC70 150k : 2006 XC90 (In the family)
    83 245DL 172k : 2006 S60 (also not mine)
    95 855 GLT 138k