Question Looking for our 1st xc

We're looking for our 1st xc, had in mind an 01 or 02. Can anyone help us out with what and what not to look for. Are these cars reliable, what are maintenance costs, are there any years to avoid etc? Do they perform as well as astandard 4 wheel drive? We're just coming off a Land Rover nightmare and I don't want to make that same mistake. Thanks for all your help.

Default Go Japanese

Hello, we just sold our 1999 XC for the same reason you sold your Land Rover. What it comes down to is European cars are just not as reliable as other makes.

If you don't believe me, pick up the latest Consumer reports with reliability ratings for autos and check up on Volvo.

Also, go to:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...aintsearch.cfm
    and do a complaint search for the vehicle of interest.

And finally, go to here:
    http://www.vexedvolvo.org/

You will see, for a fact, that all 2001 and some 2002 suffer from a serious engineering defect with the ETM that is being investigated by NHTSA.

We just bought a 2006 Outback 2 days ago and are very pleased with the vehicle. With a $2000 rebate plus 4.9% for up to 6 years, it's a very good deal. Also, the Outback has the highest impact ratings.
    However, it is not quite as nice as a Volvo and the acceleration (2.5i non-turbo engine) is not as quick, but with these two points aside, it is worth considration.
    Keep in mind, Subaru's have a much better reputation for reliability, which I suspect, like I, ranks high on the list of "must have".

I've felt your pain and understand exactly what you've gone through.

Good Luck.

I have '03 XC70 which has 45,000 miles and its been trouble free. Have just had a control module replaced under warranty which would have been spendy out of warranty. Extended warranty should be carefully considered with any modern car these days as they are full of electroc marvels that can cost a pretty penny to replace + the labor to diagnose the car's problems.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Quote Originally Posted by Honybears
    We're looking for our 1st xc, had in mind an 01 or 02. Can anyone help us out with what and what not to look for. Are these cars reliable, what are maintenance costs, are there any years to avoid etc? Do they perform as well as astandard 4 wheel drive? We're just coming off a Land Rover nightmare and I don't want to make that same mistake. Thanks for all your help.
    a 03 + with elec awd is likely to be much more reliable than a 01 02 which has a mechanical vc system.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    a 03 + with elec awd is likely to be much more reliable than a 01 02 which has a mechanical vc system.

Are you saying that the VC is less reliable than the haldex? If so, where is the proof of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge-789995
    Are you saying that the VC is less reliable than the haldex? If so, where is the proof of that?
    I second this, too. People talk about VC as though it is significantly worse from Haldex, and I have not see any proof yet of this assumption.

Ta-ta, j.
    Last edited by philosophicaldreamer; 07-30-2006 at 07:06 PM.
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge-789995
    I'm only basing it on my experiences comparing our 01 to the 05. The haldex ones don't have the ETM issue which should be reason enough. ...and of course cars do tend to get more reliable as the years into a model progress.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

If it's reliability you want I would also say to go for Japanese cars. I'm not a mechanic or anything but have owned 3 Jap cars over my driving life.

A Suzuki for 14 years from new - Nothing went wrong with it. I mean nothing!

A Nissan for 8 years, which was 5 years old when I bought it. Replaced the master and slave cylinders on the clutch, that's it.

A Lexus SC400 for 4 years, 11 years old when I bought it. A fairly pricely steering fix although nothing else yet.

Both the Nissan and the Lexus have their fair share of electric gadgets, such as elec seats and so on, but I imagine the Volvo has more. I will say that my 2000 XC70 is the nicest car I have owned but it is also the newest. Hearing Aweful1999xc's comments I think you need to decide whether you want a nice car or a reliable car. Obviously the Subarus (05-06) are a great car with excellent points about them, but we test drove some older ones, 2003-04 in the price range of the 2000 xc70 and they were nowhere near as nice in our opinion. I suppose if my luck changes with the xc my tune might change too though
    Last edited by wvaneyk; 07-31-2006 at 02:59 PM. Reason: grammar

Car and Drivers Long Term test of a Subaru Legacy Sedan was anything but "reliable".

They also had an RL sedan that required 8 unscheduled visits to the dealer in 50,000 miles.

Our XC has close to 60K now and never anything but the slightest glitch. Much better car than our 01 Outback.
    2004 Volvo XC70- Prem, Tour, Nav, Xen, tow hitch