Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default emergency brake sticking when rainy

I have a question, 1 month ago I replaced all 4 rotors, pads and also the emergency brake pads. Rotors are Brembos, pads are oems and the E-brake pads original from Volvo. My little problem is that when I wash my car or after a few rainy days, the E-brake sticks the next morning. After that it doesn't. When I put the car in R to get out of my drive way, it's stuck and after pressing a little on the throttle, you can hear a tock and there I go. If it doesn't rain or if I don't wash my car it's perfect.

Any clues ?

P.S. don't tell me not to wash my car anymore or to put it in the garage. First I hate a dirty car and second, the garage belongs to Mrs.

Luc
    Montreal, Canada
    2002 XC Premium package, Ash Gold, taupe, Michelin Hydroedges.
    2003 Jetta GLS silver 5 spd TDI.

Don't use the emergency (parking) brake in the garage?
    2002 V70XC Glacier White --> 2004 XC70 Ice White

Funny and very helpfull !

Luc

Inspect if there is any rust and binding at the drum shoes (E-brake) to the rotor. Spin the wheel while is off the ground, to see if there is any rubbing.
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

Unfortunately, there's no rubbing at all I did check also I found out that you can't turn the whell when it's off the ground " AWD ".

I haven't got a clue !

Luc
    Montreal, Canada

I believe you should be able to turn the wheel. For example, the VADIS steps for checking runout include rotating the hub by hand. Could the emergency brake shoes be improperly adjusted and preventing rotation by hand.....

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Dear BillAileo, you got me now !

I will try to turn the wheel this weekend if I can get my car back. Unfortunately I brought it to the dealer this morning for a minor oil leaks. One from the turbo return line, sweaty bevel gear and one coming from the rear differential. I got a call and it's major, they have to keep the car, take the differential out and re-do the seals.

Will keep you posted for the hand brake test.

Thanks

Luc
    Montreal, Canada

Default Parking Brake Shoe Implosion

Luc,

I had been experiencing the same problem as you with the e-brake shoes "freezing up" after washing the car or after driving in the rain, and then letting the car sit in the garage overnight. This started to happen with some regularity after I had the dealer adjust the handbrake play and I suspect they got it a bit too tight, as the handle would only come up about two clicks so there probably wasn't enough free play in there to fully release the e-brake shoes.

I learned today (the hard way) that you shouldn't leave this unchecked. Last weekend I backed out of the garage and when I started to go forward the LR wheel seemed to lock up and then there was this horrendous clunk in the wheel assemby. The e-brake handle would come all the way up as if no longer attached to anything. Diagnosis was that the e-brake shoe linings had delaminated from their backing and were flopping around inside the drum, wiping out other components in the process. The kicker though was being told that I need a new stub axle too as this got broken in the process. I've asked them to keep all the old parts as I just can't understand how a stub axle gets broken in this. I guess I'll find out when I get the car back tomorrow. This isn't pretty as it's going to cost about $1000 when all said and done.

Default Delaminated Parking Brake Shoes

Just wanted to add my experience to this thread. Yesterday I had my 01 XC70 in for its second rear wheel bearing replacement in a year. The local shop owner replaced my parking brake shoes becasue of the experience of another unfortunate XC owner. The analysis is essentilly the same as the previous post or

"Diagnosis was that the e-brake shoe linings had delaminated from their backing and were flopping around inside the drum, wiping out other components in the process."

This particular owner had to replace the wheel. A new one costs about $800. It seizes up and the wheel won't turn over. I had a look at my old shoes and they were coming off at the ends. I have no idea if this is for 01 models only but just wanted to get it out there if this isn't already common knowledge in the community.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Vwvolvo View Post
    Funny and very helpfull !

Luc
    No, It's NOT funny and you DO have to do this.
    You cannot put the E brake on after washing or after it's been through the rain or these may stick There's no real reason to use an E brake anyway unless you park on a San Francisco hill or you drive a manual!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast