Question Console HU adapter for '05 and newer models?

I'm within a hare's breath of selling my '01 XC and purchasing an '05 or '06 model. I haven't the time or inclination to nurse it along, now that it seems expensive things are beginning to wear out and her warranty is a distant memory. Pity; I do love her so.

My question relates to the updated center console design of the '05 and newer models. Everything is still in the same relative position, but the edges of the panels are now rounded off, with a faux-burl surround (brushed aluminum in our '05 S60 R). Crutchfield sells a reasonably good dash adapter for my current XC, but doesn't list one for the newer models of S60 or V70. They do, however list one for the newer S80s.

The S80 adapter looks like what I'll need, but I'm not sure if there's a fitment issue somewhere behind the facade. Has anyone purchased one of these aftermarket head unit adapters and tried it in a late model XC70? I need to put my '01 out to pasture, but I'm not willing to part with my new Alpine head unit in the process.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

-Todd

'06 XC70, Black/Graphite: Prem/Conv/Clim Packages, Bi-Xenon, Privat Sekt 18", 235/50 Goodrich G-Force, Hidden Hitch, Thule Evo
    '05 S60R , Black Sapphire metallic/Atacama: 6 speed manual, 20% vlt tint, 17" Pegs, iPod
    '03 BMW K1200GT, Metallic Silver-Green: Z-Technic exhaust & chip, 141+ bhp, bling, bling, bling--too much to list
    "Lose the pants!" Utilikilt.com

So...just trying to keep the thread in play for a while. Still hoping someone may have some experience with this particular issue.

Crutchfield is sending me the new ("S80") dash adapter so I can exchange it for the original V70/XC70 version which fit my original ('01) XC. In case I end up being the first one to try this particular item in an '06 console, I'll be sure to post my impressions, along with a few photos.

But, please, if you have any experience with this adapter (links can be found below in the original post) share your experience. Thanks much.

-Todd

'06 XC70, Black/Graphite: Prem/Conv/Clim Packages, Bi-Xenon, Privat Sekt 18", 235/50 Goodrich G-Force, Hidden Hitch, Thule Evo
    '05 S60R , Black Sapphire metallic/Atacama: 6 speed manual, 20% vlt tint, 17" Pegs, iPod
    '03 BMW K1200GT, Metallic Silver-Green: Z-Technic exhaust & chip, 141+ bhp, bling, bling, bling--too much to list

Default Ill be watching

I am curious how it will turn out. I was thinking of a new wagon but would to upgrade the headunit in the Volvo. The Vovlo accessory site onlu has install kits to 2004. (http://acctest.semcon.se/en-GB/P2X/a...it/default.htm)

Good luck!

Question Know how to dismantle the console on '05-'06 XC?

Not much to update on this thread yet. I've now traded in my '01 XC for an '06, so my problem is no longer hypothetical.

I have a nearly-new Alpine CDA-9857 head unit, freshly salvaged from the console of my former XC, which I would very much like to install in the '06. Unfortunately, it seems the S80 dash adapter from Crutchfield isn't going to work, so I'm planning to fabricate an insert/adapter on my own, probably out of hardwood, possibly out of aluminum. Count on photos--lots of photos--to be uploaded to the gallery as I work my way through the process.

Step one is to break down the console, and I can't even figure out how to begin. Dismantling the console of the '01 was a breeze, but I'm clueless on the '06.

Can anyone tell me how to safely go about removing the A/C control unit, option switch/12V outlet panel, and factory head unit?

Thank you in advance.

-Todd

Quote Originally Posted by dr.tb.xc
    Dismantling the console of the '01 was a breeze, but I'm clueless on the '06.
    Hi Todd,

Congrat on your new black beauty!! She looks very sharp with the 18" wheels.

If I remember correctly, the '06 surrounds will come off independently from the rest of the console. I saw my Volvo Tech remove it with something similar to the BOJO pryer tool. And after you remove the surrounds, the rest of the disassemble is similar to the '01.

Good Luck!
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

You might see if your dealer can get you one of these:

http://acctest.semcon.se/en-GB/P2X/a...VCC-249499.htm

It lists an application for the '04 XC70 but the site doesn't seem to have been updated in a while so I'm not sure on the fit for the '06.

To remove the console you first pop up the shift surround then remove the two torx screws at the base of the acc/radio stack.

Unhappy

Thanks for your advise and suggestions, guys. Crutchfield has confirmed that they don't yet offer a dash adapter for the new XC70, which has the wood surround in the center console, and I've searched in vain for one from other manufacturers. It seems I will have to fabricate a custom panel as I'd suspected.

Fortunately the wiring harness adapters Crutchfield sent me for my '01 are still usable with my '06 and my Alpine, though this only matters if I plan to connect the Alpine head unit to the original XC speakers and wait on installing the Infinity door speakers, sub and the power amplifiers.

I'm hoping to scrape together enough time in my crazy schedule to do the fabrication soon. It's depressing to see all the audio components still sitting idle in their boxes. I'll update this thread as soon as there's any progress to report. Bear with me, and thanks again.

-Todd