Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default '03 roof rack wind noise problem

I just got a set of used (great shape) Volvo load bars for my '03 XC70. Put them on last night, forward one about 6" behind the rear edge of the sunroof, rear one maybe 36" behind the front, and heard a very annoying wind noise today from about 40 mph on up.

I'm guessing this is a common problem, fluid mechanics aren't any diffferent where I live than anywhere else in the world, so how do I eliminate this problem? Is it all in positioning? Do I need a little fairing up there?

Default Wind in the bars

I've had a set of the wing shaped bars from the start and don't start getting sound until 65+ MPH under normal conditions. In a heavy cross wind I get much more.

Bouvier

Wing shaped bars? Mine are rectangular in cross-section, like a clone of a Thule bar.

I have both wing and Thule style bars from Volvo. The wing shaped bars are MUCH less noisy. I tried the Thule branded bar adaptors and they were even worse, plus they could scratch the rails and were more expensive.

Get a fairing...

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/prod..._id=83&sku=872

Worked for me...
    04 XC70 Silver w/ Graphite Leather, Premium Package,Touring Package,Integrated Booster Seats,Xenia Wheels, ipd upgrades, WR G3 SUV Nokians, NEW Angle Gear, ipd HD End-Links: 162k
    12 Honda Pilot EX-L
    04 Acura TSX (sold)
    98 Jetta (sold)
    98 GTI VR6, GIAC tuned, Jetex Exhaust (sold)
    87 Jeep Wrangler (sold)

While a fairing should work well, I found that having an attachment on the rack reduces the whistling noise considerably. I have 58" bars with the Crossroads mounting to the rails. With a ski carrier or kayak saddles in place, the noise is greatly reduced. Gas mileage is still 24mpg on the highway (just tested last weekend with a fully loaded car running at 32psi all around). Mileage calculated by hand (miles driven divided by gas consumed). Can't trust the computer, it's way off.

Off topic: to the previous poster...love your cars! (same as mine)
    '05 XC70 (family truckster)
    '11 X3 xdrive35i (Daddy's daily)
    '05 Sienna XLE Limited AWD (the road tripper)

I agree, get a fairing. Mine is located right behind the sunroof opening and there is virtually no noise, even with the bike and kayak carriers installed. Works like a charm.
    '01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite Leather, Nokian WRs
    '09 XC70/Ice White/Sandstone Leather,VCOA

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

In the little time it takes to remove the load bars altogether, I personally find this to be the preferred method when it comes to eliminating wind noise.

Naturally, this method likely works better if you don't require full-time use of your rack accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Art
    In the little time it takes to remove the load bars altogether, I personally find this to be the preferred method when it comes to eliminating wind noise.
    I, too, tend to remove the crossbars when not using them. If you are using a top box, it is really easy to leave the box attached to the bars and remove the entire assembly from the roof - just takes two people so as not to scratch the car.

While the aero/oval/tapered bars look cool and make less noise, they didn't fit all the existing Thule attachments already in my garage.
    '02 V70 XC Ocean Race #271
    '05 XC90 2.5T Crystal Green - gone

I've had the Volvo wing profile cross bars since my car was new - bought them at the Factory Delivery Center in Goteborg. They work great and there's really no decernable noise until maybe 45 mph and then goes away at around 50 mph. I have the rear cross bar located as far back as is possible. The leading cross bar is exactly 31" forward of the rear one. I did experiment some without anything attached to cross bars as this is the normal mode of use and found this positioning to minimise wind turbulence noise. I never remove the cross bars.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast