Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Those letters

Bud and Edmonds17,
    You guys have such a way with words.

I just sent the following letter to William Shapiro.
    "As you know I am the founder of VEXED so am central contact for over 400 Volvophiles in 16 countries with the ETM failure and problems. Even this morning I received an e-mail from Ireland resulting from yesterdays report on BBC's Watchdog.

I am getting dozens of inquiries about 'the letter'. John Urkov quoted you as saying the letters would go out in mid February or after a couple of weeks after that. If you would let me know when they are released it would be appreciated.

As far as J. D. Polk goes. Do they have the addresses both the current owners and the former owners? If a person has not received the letter after, say 2 weeks, how and who should they notify. If they have not received the letter can they copy the one on http://www.Matthewsvolvosite.com
    and send it to the listed address?

Don Willson

Queens, New York City, United States Of America

I hope volvo does the right thing, they can't wash there hands of this and expect ppl to forget, there name has already been hurt by ford buying them out and the problems the new volvos have that the old ones didn't.

What I'd like to ask them, that if they knew about this in 98 or 99 about the defective etm, why not stop it there and than and redesign a new one for 00 and 01 ? It would have been cheaper for the company to have it happen for a year and acknowledge it and move on, instead they continued to let these cars come out the factory.

I'm very curious to know what mercedes of what years had a recall on electrical ,alt problems ? I'd apreciate it
    TyranT
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint
    2000 Volvo V70XC AWD (SOLD)
    HID Lows/Fogs 6000k, 50%/35% tint, Dual Exhaust, Speedtuning ECU upgrade
    1997 Volvo 965 - 50%/35% tint
    1997 Nissan Altima HID 6000k/ Intake

I have quite a few cars in my stable. I dont deal much with Volvo since my Volvos are older and are not under warranty. I can say that MBZ (I have an 02 C class) build one of the more unreliable cars out there, but I have to say their service is excellent. Whenever I tell them something, they usually know what it is and would fix it under warranty with no questions or fuzz. On the other hand, Nissan and Mazda are simply cheap a$$holes. I bought a 30K new Nissan, all I get is run arounds when it comes to warranty work. They kept saying the car is a sports car and you should have problems, that is the excuse. I purchased my car at 12 miles new! The car currently has 16K miles, the car still does not idle with the AC off. I havent been driving the car too much due to the weather, but I am pissed off enough that I am going to write a NHTSB complaint just to make Nissan work. I have tried everything short of getting a lawyer on them. I just didnt do it because it will end up costing me more. I am currently being blacklisted by their manager
    98 XC
    04 Z

[QUOTE=cossie1600] I am currently being blacklisted by their manager /QUOTE]

I had similar warranty problems on an old Dodge van many years ago. In the Customer area I was able to loudly express my dis-satisfaction with the Dealership and their inability to solve mechanical problems and their reluctance to do bonifide warranty work.

Several prospective buyers overheard my concerns, as did the Service Manager. He pulled me aside, asked me to calm down (shutup) and then took care of my warranty concerns.

Sometimes it is the squeaky wheel.
    Ex-C70 owner
    ---------------
    VEXED

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant11429
    I'm very curious to know what mercedes of what years had a recall on electrical ,alt problems ? I'd apreciate it
    Sorry, I couldn't find the old newspaper clipping with the exact data, but check my post #122 in this thread....
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...5&page=5&pp=30

EDIT: HERE IT IS:
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...31/025406.html

Hey to all the ETM oldtimers, this is where our concerted effort began a year ago. *sniff * * sigh *
    Brings back old memories.
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...5&page=5&pp=30

Hey, this is a good page with all the auto recalls listed, even our "stalling" Volvos.
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/recalls/news.html
    Last edited by Bud; 02-16-2006 at 10:34 AM.
    Ex-C70 owner
    ---------------
    VEXED

[QUOTE=Bud]
    Quote Originally Posted by cossie1600
    I am currently being blacklisted by their manager /QUOTE]

I had similar warranty problems on an old Dodge van many years ago. In the Customer area I was able to loudly express my dis-satisfaction with the Dealership and their inability to solve mechanical problems and their reluctance to do bonifide warranty work.

Several prospective buyers overheard my concerns, as did the Service Manager. He pulled me aside, asked me to calm down (shutup) and then took care of my warranty concerns.

Unfortunately, it does not really matter what kind of relationship we have with our dealer. They could replace a failing ETM on demand every 6,000 miles and it still does not take care of the real problem - the part must be redesigned/recalled by Volvo. The dealer can only put the same worthless part in our cars. NHTSA is our only hope unless we are willing to drive a car which can die suddenly at any time. We should accept nothing less than a recall. The warranty extension is a joke.

Default Volvos are still dieing.

Happened to be driving in North Seattle yesterday. Saw what appeared to be an '01 Volvo XC being hauled to the local Volvo dealer, Ravenna Motors.

The '01 Volvo XC was not dented or damaged in any way. Coming from the area of I-5.

I thought to myself: "There's another defective ETM."

My point is that Volvo owners are continuing to be stranded while we wait for NHTSA to make a decision and/or for Volvo to send out the long promised letter to Volvo owners. Most Volvo owners probably do not know to this day about the defective ETM and what might happen when the engine dies unexpectedly. Unfortunately, some Seattle area Volvo owner yesterday probably discovered the defect the hard way.

Come on NHTSA and Volvo. It's time to resolve this defect.

Edmonds17

[QUOTE=Bud]
    Quote Originally Posted by cossie1600
    I am currently being blacklisted by their manager /QUOTE]

I am being blacklisted by Nissan Motors Corp., not just dealerships hehe
    98 XC
    04 Z

Queens, New York City, United States Of America

Most people don't know about the defective etms, I work at sears and see 99-01 volvo's come in and ask the oweners about it, and they have the slightest clue about there throttle body, some said they have it replaced by the dealer and it was a normal wear and tear part, I was telling them its not, and to come to this site and also make a complaint with the nhtsa, but they didn't seem interested in doing so. I think it needs to be put on the news and papers more so ppl catch that and than realize whats going on with there cars, so they'll be enough of us to get volvo to make the recall on the etms on 99-01 volvo's.

Cossie, did you write a letter to nissan corp ?

Bud thanks for the link.
    TyranT
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint
    2000 Volvo V70XC AWD (SOLD)
    HID Lows/Fogs 6000k, 50%/35% tint, Dual Exhaust, Speedtuning ECU upgrade
    1997 Volvo 965 - 50%/35% tint
    1997 Nissan Altima HID 6000k/ Intake

I wrote 6 letters to Nissan, 4 letters to the BBB and one to the NHTSB.
    98 XC
    04 Z

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast