Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by bluexc70
    James,

That's exactly in the ballpark where I would expect it to be. I guess my 2004 XC mileage on such a trip would be very similar. I'm still puzzled by Gibbons' figures....... Anybody else who can compete with his "lower thirties" on the highway? I tried the same thing he did on the freeway once on a long flat stretch and ended up around 27 mpg at 65 miles per hour for about 10 miles with cruise control on. Actually this is a nice metric, anybody else who has this type of figures?
    Nope, just over 29 mpg is the best I get on the I-95 North of Richmond, so not a completely flat stretch.
    2008 V70 2.4 Classic Sports Edition

My mpg is much like bluexc70's. I'm lucky to get 20 city and max out on road trips at about 26. Overall my average hovers around 22. I don't think I'm any heavier on the gas pedal than most, but I do think that congestion on our Bay Area freeways make our freeway driving much like others city experience.
    2004 XC70 Silver/Graphite Leather, Premium, Touring

Quote Originally Posted by lintbrush
    My mpg is much like bluexc70's. I'm lucky to get 20 city and max out on road trips at about 26. Overall my average hovers around 22. I don't think I'm any heavier on the gas pedal than most, but I do think that congestion on our Bay Area freeways make our freeway driving much like others city experience.
    Thanks Lintbrush. That's at least some consolation for me. I agree our freeway congestion may contribute, but still does not explain how people can achieve 33mpg on the highway on a long stretch at 65mph. Yes, I'm probably able to get that too, but at 40mph or slower but certainly not at 65mph.
    2004 XC70
    premium, touring package
    Summer: Factory wheels/Pirelli STR 215/65-16
    Winter: Steel wheels/wheel covers/Michelin Alpin PA2 215/65-16
    Protective Bumper Strip

Default Fuel Economy

2002 XC,

Was getting about 27.5 on the Pirelli's. Switched out to Michelin Hydroedges, and now get about 29 Highway. About 24 mpg combined Boston metro driving. I got 32 mpg once, driving as gently as possible, coasting downhills, not accelerating up hills, but with the cruisecontrol on at 67, and 63 (in 65 and 55 speed limits respectively) I get 29. Tires at 39psi, no crossbars on the roof rack.

I'm about to switch over to winter tires. Michelin X-Ice. Will report on the yearly holiday pilgrimage when I return.

I used to get 32 mpg on my 1998 V70R (AWD), running on X-ices, for the same trip.

Scott.
    Last edited by sfsxc70; 11-26-2005 at 09:13 AM.

I'm pretty baffled myself bluexc70. The ultimate best I ever got was just over 27mpg - straight, flat, no crossbars, no load (other than 1 Golden Retriever), no wind, cool temp, 91 fuel, stock tires, and cruise control set at ~68mph. My average varies between 19.5-22mpg with about 75/25 city/highway. On road trips all packed up - cargo box and gear, I only get about 24mpg. Maybe there is also something with the CA emmissions? I dunno.
    2004 XC70 Silver/Graphite Leather, Premium, Touring

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234