Unhappy lock car while motor is running

I have a new Volvo xc90 and would like to find out if there is any way that I can leave the car running and lock it from outside. The reason is my little yorkshire terrier. I have to have the car running with air condition but of course lock the car while in restaurant and so on.
    Any advice would be helpful.
    THanks
    Juergen

Take the spare key fob with you? This would probably work, but you always run the risk of having the car stolen as leaving it unattended, key in the ignition presents an obvious invitation to some low life who only has to break a window.

It's a dog, leave it at home.

You would be willing to take a chane on getting you car stolen so the dog can stay cool in the car?

It is a dog, it can stay home.

Also, no car is designed to idle for long times. You risk carbon buildup, poor lubrication to some engine parts, and even exhaust gas build up in the vehicle that could kill the dog.

2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005

I must agree with DMD...leave the dog at home. Would you do the same thing with a child? Probably not.
    Volvo has installed the lock system as a safety measure so that people do not lock children or animals in the car while it is running. Once you open the doors, while the ignition key is in the on position, you cannot lock the doors.
    Nova
    2004 XC90 Ruby Red Pearl

The doors can be locked from outside with engine running but a key must be used. The remote fob will not do it.

Default Lock car with motor running meand no insurance

Geez - this is not to mention that in the event the car is stolen while you are having dinner, having left pooch in the comfort of your running car with the doors locked, your insurance company will not cover the loss. You will be declared negligent. Read the policy, you have an obligation to take reasonable care to prevent loss or damage.

I join the "leave the dog at home" chorus.
    XC90 D5 MY05, Black Sapphire Met. on Off Black leather, High Perf., Nav., 18" wheels, GSM, Xenon, RICA upgrade.
    Saab 9,5 Vector Estate MY03, 2.3T, Titanium grey on grey leather

Unhappy

I'm adding my vote to leave the dog at home!!

In the UK it is ILLEGAL to have a car engine running on a public highway with no-one at the controls. For one thing it pollutes the air for no good reason and for another it's just down-right dangerous, not to mention making it easy for any n'er-do-wells to make off with your pride and joy (the car and/or your dog!)

Rant over...

Phil

Default Locking doors with the engine running

Lock all doors with lock button while inside. Exit the driver's door pulling up on lock plunger first (do not use the lock button), or just open the door. This will leave the remaining doors locked. Push down the lock plunger (not the lock button). Hold the plunger down gently while the car attempts to lock the door. This will keep the door from unlocking. Shut the driver's door. All doors should now be locked with the engine running.

Many states have statues that disallow engine idling for an extended period of time.

That being said, you might want to look up "turbo timers" - their intended purpose is to allow the engine to circulate coolant and oil in a turbocharged vehicle after you've finished driving to reduce the possibility of coked oil lines or overheated turbo. They are largely unnecessary in modern cars with the introduction of oil and water cooled turbos and ball bearings. However, it's still a live and kicking and a common part installed on modified cars.

While it's not designed for a Volvo, you might want to see if a local shop is willing to install one for you.

It splices into the parking brake system so the engine only stays running as long as the parking brake is engaged.

When you take out the key with the parking brake engaged and the vehicle in park, the engine will stay running. You can set how long you want it to run, some times let you run it as long as 30 minutes.

If someone hops in and tries to move the car by releasing the parking brake, the engine will shut off and require the key to restart it.

The function can be turned on or off so your car doesn't always stay running when you remove the key.

Not recommended, but I hope this helps.