Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

see what happens when you hit a wall with a Volvo at 190 km/h:

Volvo crash
    Volvo XC70 2.5T Ash Gold, Geartronic, Prestigeline, Xenon, Scidplates

Ok I was waiting for somebody to state the obvious but nobody did... Why are we discussing safety of S60 when it is an XC70 board? Let's stick to the subject of the forum, which is XC70.

BTW, while we are on the subject, here are crash test ratings of XC70
    http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/volvo/xc70/safety/

Quote Originally Posted by ArtSmart
    Ok I was waiting for somebody to state the obvious but nobody did... Why are we discussing safety of S60 when it is an XC70 board? Let's stick to the subject of the forum, which is XC70.

BTW, while we are on the subject, here are crash test ratings of XC70
    http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/volvo/xc70/safety/
    Thanks for posting. Most people believe the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety conducts more rigorous and challenging tests than the U.S. government. The results for the S60 were posted because IIHS has not tested the XC70. The XC70 is supposedly built on the same chassis as the S60. Admittedly, one would expect the different bodies to behave differently in these crash tests. However, if Volvo did not specifically design the S60 to perform well in the IIHS tests, it seems plausible that they may not have designed the XC70 to do well in those tests either, as these two vehicles were designed at around the same time.
    '04 XC70
    '06 Toyota Prius
    '95 Volvo 850

Default Re: crash tests

I found the post relevent, too. I imagine some families have both an XC70 and S60 and I ocassionally drive an S60 as a service loaner. It's interesting to see how it does in side crashes which account for about 30% of auto fatalities.

Some differences between the IIHS and NHTSA tests are discussed at autobytel and edmunds. As for the side tests: While NHTSA and the IIHS run similar side-impact tests, there are substantial differences in the barriers used to impact the cars. NHTSA's barrier is lower to the ground and has a less pronounced "nose." The IIHS barrier was designed to represent a typical pickup or SUV on the market today. It is higher off the ground and has a more pronounced "nose."

Another interesting article at Insure notes: Volvo, the Swedish manufacturer now owned by Ford, says it has studied more than 22,000 real-world accidents involving Volvos since 1972. Each accident took place within one hour's drive of the company's factory in Sweden and involved at least one Volvo. The majority are frontal, followed by side-impact crashes and frontal crashes that occurred at an angle.

"We put a car together and crash it, and then see how it performs in the real world," says Johnston. "You just can't perform the same tests in a crash test lab as you can in the real world."

Johnston says that Volvo is "pleased" that IIHS and NHTSA are conducting crash tests, but that it constructs its vehicles with Volvo-specific accident scenarios in mind, gleaned from its Swedish crash data.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Maybe Volvo could show us how they construct their vehicles with Volvo-specific ? Did you ever see a real crash test from Volvo at more than 50kmph ? Not me, tell me where I can see it. I trust Volvo more than most manufacturers, but I have to see to believe what they're pretending.

Don't make me wrong, The Volvo XC70 is a very safe car for us and the people we're taking car of. But every car in the world needs more improvements, and the first law at Volvo is all about safety.

Thomas
    Volvo XC70 2004, Nautic Blue metallic, Sport PKG (DSTC, Xenia, Bi-Xenon, ZF Servotronic) VNS, rear Skid Plate, Thule evolution

Quote Originally Posted by thomaslally
    Maybe Volvo could show us how they construct their vehicles with Volvo-specific ? Did you ever see a real crash test from Volvo at more than 50kmph ? Not me, tell me where I can see it. I trust Volvo more than most manufacturers, but I have to see to believe what they're pretending.

Don't make me wrong, The Volvo XC70 is a very safe car for us and the people we're taking car of. But every car in the world needs more improvements, and the first law at Volvo is all about safety.

Thomas
    It's like he is trying to say something...

Quote Originally Posted by ArtSmart
    It's like he is trying to say something...
    I think I understood his message. Perhaps he should post in French and you could translate for us!

BTW did you ever sell your XC70?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12