Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default aftermarket shocks

anyone found a source for aftermarket shocks for the xc70????
    Nurspotts...

Hi,
    If it's about the rear, Volvo's own auto-leveling is quite good (gives a firmer ride, and even when fully loaded you still have full suspension range)
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Willy
    Hi,
    If it's about the rear, Volvo's own auto-leveling is quite good (gives a firmer ride, and even when fully loaded you still have full suspension range)
    Willy
    Willy,

Is it possible to have the auto-leveling system installed on an XC70 in which that system wasn't an OEM item? If so, does anyone know what the cost might be? I'm thinking about new rear shocks but I don't have the auto-leveling system, but I will probably just replace the OEM ones with another set of OEM shocks (in other words...just have the dealer replace them).
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Hello gary,
    I am not sure that the auto-level shocks can be installed afterwards, but it doesn't seem impossible to me. The system needs no external power, so it is just a more complicated shock. Of course, if the dimensions are differerent...
    If I remember well, the shocks were about 600€ more expensive than the standard ones, so total cost could be quite high
    On the other hand, most owners like the auto-leveling system, as already said it has several advantages. If you would like to know how much diffzerent the ride becomes, perhaps you can ask for a comparitative test at the dealer.
    Please keep us informed.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Hello again,
    In the mean time, I took a closer look at some data of the rear suspension.
    The parts list gives part numbers for the standard and the auto-leveling shocks without the drawing showing any difference. This should raise the hopes for the interchangeability of these parts.
    Willy

Default I got a quote

Quote Originally Posted by gary
    Willy,

I'm thinking about new rear shocks but I don't have the auto-leveling system
    You can add auto levelling , I also have a mY04 and got a quote in August for this and it came to GBP £1000+ odd that inluded Volvo kit and fitting. Rang Europarts (I think it was) and they reckon OEM kit came to £500.

Still toying around with the idea and would be interested to know why you are thinking about changing them out?
    Car 1 XC70 Weekdays for the wife / me weekends
    Car 2 New Honda Civic Diesel, great fun for use to and from work!

Quote Originally Posted by kat
    Still toying around with the idea and would be interested to know why you are thinking about changing them out?
    Kat, thanks for the info. Auto-leveling was an option purchase for MY '03, but I passed on it - reluctantly because I just wasn't sure that I really needed it. However, after having done several family camping trips where it seems like we take the whole house to include the kitchen sink, my perception is that all that stuff/weight in the back-end seems to give the suspension a very spongy feeling, which I am uncomfortable with. On most of my cars that I have owned over the years, I've replaced the shocks usually somewhere between 35K and 50K miles; sometimes it was necessary, sometimes it wasn't. I probably won't opt to get the auto-leveling system for the '03 -- I'll just replace with another set of regular OEM (most likely). I was just curious if it could be added on after the fact and if so, how much it was. Seems a bit pricey - but remember I get paid in US dollars and given the exchange rate, it's not cheap [it's actually not cheap for anyone].
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

... However, after having done several family camping trips where it seems like we take the whole house to include the kitchen sink, my perception is that all that stuff/weight in the back-end seems to give the suspension a very spongy feeling, which I am uncomfortable with. ...
    Made me chuckle as this is exactly the same reason I looked at it, my other half seems to think that no where else will have food and we take everything with us. Solved it by the way.........

When you get back from holiday as we did go and buy a really big tent you tow, that way you get loads of space in the back! however it cost more than £1000, quite a lot more

to give the suspension a very spongy feeling, which I am uncomfortable with. ...Seems a bit pricey - but remember I get paid in US dollars and given the exchange rate, it's not cheap [it's actually not cheap for anyone].
    Forgot , have a look at something I posted earlier this evening. I put a lot of it down to tires, with a heavy load I found the Nokian NRVi made a big difference. I guess because of the stiffer sidewall.

I only got the tires just before I went on vacation and now going to see how I get on as don't think I need it now.

Kat,

Thanks for the info. Curious as to where you got your Nokian tyres because I can't seem to locate a dealer in the UK who has them. Also, what size tyre did you put on - the standard OEM size or did you do like some others on this forum and go to another size? Was the NRVi the only Nokian available? I'd really like to get these Nokian WRs everyone on the forum is raving about!
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast