Default Do I really gotta buy *4* new tires at once for my XC?

Hey all -- I'm new to the board. My name is Matt and I've owned a '98 V70 XC since summer '2003. Under warranty, I've had what seem to be the typical parts/systems replaced. (ABS unit, transmission.)

I'm in the shop now for two new front tires (BAD wear on the outside shoulders) -- and my guys are recommending that I buy FOUR new tires instead of 2 because the car is four-wheel-drive. They are telling me uneven tires can affect the tranny.

I smell a stink ... and so I'm having them replace just 2 to pass inspection.

BUT here's my question: is there sense to this recommendation -- that I re-shoe the WHOLE car -- or are they just out to make $ off me?

Thanks for your thoughts here...

I think if you do a search on the site you will find that there is serious merit to having all four tires on AWD Volvos with the vicous coupling darn near the same diameter. I understand that not doing so jeopardizes the transmission.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

OK after yr response Bill and more rooting around the board I've called in to mount all 4 tires. Thanks --

Good Move..you just saved yourself from a 2 thousand dollar problem..hopefully you haven't already hurt your angle gear..take it from someone who knows...if you start to hear a moan down under (and its not in your own bedroom) look out. The part itself is $1600.

PS..why are volvo parts and service so dang expensive?