Smile Aftermarket Upgrades (fuel, torque, etc...)

I live in the U.S. and gas prices have been rising steadily over the last 2 years. My 2001 XC70 gets between 20-21 mpg (which isn't great) all the time. I invested $150 in an improved air filter (K&N) and a capacitor for the battery. Each of the items claims an average of 10% gas mileage improvement. I did some basic calculations for cost per mile at $2.69 a gallon gas and figured I the items would pay for themselves in about 8 months since we put 15k miles a year on the car.

Anyone else use items like these?

I'll update the forum in a month with the results and if the money is worth it.

--Mike
    -----
    01 XC70 Dark Blue

I believe the K&N site makes the point that the government reports a clean air filter can improve gas milelage by 10%. It does not have to be a K&N filter, just a properly functioning one. I've never heard of a capacitor for the battery saving gas. Got any details to share?

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Here is the marketing information I read:

"Get the max out of your Volvo XC70 performance with the Volvo XC70 Hyper Voltage System ECO by SUN AUTOMOBILE. It is a perfect add on engine accessory to increase performance, improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions.

This Volvo XC70 Hyper Voltage System is easy to install, yet offers the performance of your XC70 you are craving for. Simply by connecting the Hot InaZma ECO to your Volvo XC70 battery, it helps the XC70 electrical system operate at peak efficiency, thereby saving fuel and gain performance. The Hot InaZma ECO is also designed to stabilize battery voltage for enhanced electrical system efficiency, allowing your vehicle to operate at its full potential.
    Hot InaZma ECO Voltage System features:

Improved gas mileage - "testing shows an average of 10% fuel economy increase"
    Reduced emissions - "testing shows an average of 30% reduction of HC"
    Brighter lights
    Longer battery life
    Improved engine performance
    Reduction of radio noise
    Simple, easy installation
    Easy installation in any car, truck, or SUV with a 12v battery
    Start saving the money you spend on gas. Order one for your Volvo XC70 now."
    -----
    01 XC70 Dark Blue

In sum... the capacitor is actually a secondary battery. Its goal is to make sure that the battery always has enough electricity to supply the engine control and spark systems. The theory is that if you are running the AC, radio, heated seats, etc... and if you try to accelerate quickly or are driving hard, then your engine could have less than optimal electricity available.
    -----
    01 XC70 Dark Blue

Thanks.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

I got my Hyper Voltage System installed. I was reading on some other message boards that some independent tests showed a mileage improvement of 15%. The product claims up to 10%.

I'll let you all know. Next project: Tornado air intake and then the K&N air filter.
    -----
    01 XC70 Dark Blue

I went ahead and installed the k&n air filter and tornado air-intake. Definitly more peppy off the line. We'll see how the gas mileage improves.
    -----
    01 XC70 Dark Blue

These aftermarket items are all BS and designed to make you part with your money which it appears you have done. You can not conduct accurate enough testing to confirm any benefit, which is what these companies depend on. Most testing that is conducted is qualitative and subject to ones perceptions. -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S