Angry Is this an ETM issue?

Hello, I am new here, but I am thankful this forum is available. I have 3 sons, one of whom just received his driver's license last week. I asked him to move my 2001 Volvo V70XC into the driveway from where it was parked in front of our house. I just happened to be watching from the window , to my horror (and my son's), after he entered the car and started the engine, the car started to roll backwards (we live on a relatively steep hill). I could see the panic in my son's face. I ran outside to find my car kissing (to put it mildly) stone wall on the opposite side of our driveway.

After I made sure my son was okay and calmed him down, I asked him what happened. He told me that after he turned the car on, it immediately started to roll backwards. He had no control. The brakes did not work, NOTHING!! The entire driver's side of the car is a mess and the stone wall is destroyed.

We just purchased this car in June. I am at a loss - any suggestions, info, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so, so much in advance from an angry, but extremely grateful mother (that her child was not hurt).

Glad to know your son wasn't injured. I have no idea what happened to your car, but it's unlikely to be directly related an ETM problem unless the engine cut off due to an ETM issue and there was no vaccuum feeding the vaccuum assist for the brakes which would have made braking for your son much more difficult. Is this the car he learned to drive on?
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Thank you for replying. Yes, this is the car he learned to drive on, at least for the last 3 months. Prior to that, he was driving our Toyota Sequoia. In Massachusetts, you have to have your Learner's Permit for 6 months before you can obtain a driver's license.

I am sure that some might think that this happened because he is a new driver. However, I was watching him and I saw this happen.

The only thing I have noticed about our Volvo is that occasionally it "jerks" (for lack of a better term - maybe "hesitates") when starting from a stopped position. Other than this, we have had no problem in the whole big 3 months we have owned it.

Thanks again for your advice and insight.

Lisa

Default Engine Running?

Was the engine running as it went backwards and was it running when you got to the car? ( Did you or he have to turn the car off after hitting the wall) or did the engine die before he lost control? Was the car in a forward gear when you got to your son or in reverse?

If the engine was running, the car was in a forward gear, and he had no braking capability that would not be an ETM issue. Did he try to use the emergency brake? If the engine was running, the car was in a forward gear and he had no control that sounds line a combination of transmisson and brake issues. Quite a combination to have happen all at once.

The main thing is that everyones OK (except the wall and the car!). This is definatley an odd one.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

I'll have to go test this, but don't you have to apply the brake in order to start the car? Further, don't you have to apply the brake in order to take the car out of park? The car must have been in park, since I don't think you can take the key out of the ignition unless the gear shifter is in Park.

Did he take it out of park before it rolled? There is some missing info here. I don't see how the car could have rolled upon starting up with the gear shift in P and the foot on the brake. I guess I'd get the mechanicals checked out, but it sounds like operator error to me.

So to answer your initial question, No it does not sound like an ETM issue.

Good luck, keep us informed.
    Last edited by Jorge-789995; 08-22-2005 at 06:14 AM.

My car starts when tranny selector is in P, without foot on the brake. It doesn't go to D/R unless I press the brake pedal.

Not to question your sons integrity, but, don't you think it should be questioned?

This is extremely bizzare, and I can't imagine this happening.

If the car was stationary before he got in, if he left the gear selecter in P, there is no way the car would roll by just starting the engine.

But, what if the engine was never started, (he thought it was) then he shifted, then the car would roll, and since he pressed on the brake, it would make braking difficult. The steering would also not be assisted.

Did you move the car after the incident, and was there any abnormal behavior of the car.

Good luck, and glad everyone is ok.
    2004 Volvo XC70- Prem, Tour, Nav, Xen, tow hitch

IMHO don't blame your son. A "short cut" might happen after years of experiences.
    My04 XC70 ocean blue, 2.5T petrol, AWD, manual, DSTC, Nokian WR