Angry Rear liftgate slams shut!

My 2001 XC70's rear liftgate does not stay open at the top, nor does it provide some resistance when shutting it; the liftgate slams shut when opened and not held in place by something (hand, head, 2" by 4" etc.)!

Putting anything in or taking anything out of the rear storage area has become a major hassle!

I have not had time to take it into the dealer (90 miles away) yet, but will make appointment a.s.a.p.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you remedy the situation?

Thanks in advance for any advice along these lines.

Overall, my 2001 has been a wonderful crossover vechicle!

On my prev V40 the gas was gone from the telescopes, and the dealer had to replace them.
    My04 XC70 ocean blue, 2.5T petrol, AWD, manual, DSTC, Nokian WR

Quote Originally Posted by XC70Geo
    On my prev V40 the gas was gone from the telescopes, and the dealer had to replace them.
    That's your problem. Not sure how to get at them though. If I have time I'll tear into mine this week one day.

Sorry for the confusion! I had my wagons mixed up.
    Last edited by birddog; 08-08-2005 at 04:58 PM.
    '01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite Leather, Nokian WRs
    '09 XC70/Ice White/Sandstone Leather,VCOA

Default gas for the telescopes

Thanks for diagnosing my problem!

Where is the best place to purchase the gas? Auto-parts store or an auto dealer?

Default solution?

I talked to a friend who said I need to replace the actual cylinders NOT the gas. He recommended having an auto parts store order them for the XC70 and they would be cheaper than the dealer. My friend owns a reputable auto body shop nearby and offered to install the new cylinders for free.