Default Roll Stability Control

Anyone read the article in the new Rolling about the xc90. They made it seem like the Roll Stability Control was actually developed by Ford, but it went into the xc90 first. I presume this is because it was easier to get it into the Volvo from the ground up?

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Default Roll Stability Control

That may be correct - but press releases are slippery things. Ford does own Volvo and therefore owns what Volvo engineers create. This quote is from the November 12th issue of the Detroit Free Press concerning Ford's plans to extend the technology across all their SUV's:

"Ford has more than 80 patents and patent applications pending for its roll stability control system, and it plans to shop the equipment to other automakers, said Sue Cischke, vice president for environmental and safety engineering."

So they own the patents...and therefore the technology. Who developed it is another question. More interesting however is Ford's efforts in 2002 to force Volvo to give up their position on reinforced roofing to prevent collapse during a roll over. Ford maintains that injuries and death in rollover are not related to collapse of the roof while Volvo has always held the opposite view. Hence the boron reinforced roofing cross bars and support in the XC90.

Ford's concern was that Volvo's position would be invoked in arguments against the company in roll over litigation. I guess the position at Ford is that Volvo's should be safe...but not safer than Fords....
    XC90 D5 MY05, Black Sapphire Met. on Off Black leather, High Perf., Nav., 18" wheels, GSM, Xenon, RICA upgrade.
    Saab 9,5 Vector Estate MY03, 2.3T, Titanium grey on grey leather

Quote Originally Posted by Botanique
    That may be correct - but press releases are slippery things. Ford does own Volvo and therefore owns what Volvo engineers create. This quote is from the November 12th issue of the Detroit Free Press concerning Ford's plans to extend the technology across all their SUV's:

"Ford has more than 80 patents and patent applications pending for its roll stability control system, and it plans to shop the equipment to other automakers, said Sue Cischke, vice president for environmental and safety engineering."

So they own the patents...and therefore the technology. Who developed it is another question. More interesting however is Ford's efforts in 2002 to force Volvo to give up their position on reinforced roofing to prevent collapse during a roll over. Ford maintains that injuries and death in rollover are not related to collapse of the roof while Volvo has always held the opposite view. Hence the boron reinforced roofing cross bars and support in the XC90.

Ford's concern was that Volvo's position would be invoked in arguments against the company in roll over litigation. I guess the position at Ford is that Volvo's should be safe...but not safer than Fords....
    This was in the Volvo Club of America magazine not a press release. They made it sound like the project was in the works at Ford prior the acquisition of Volvo and the XC90 was the first vehicle they could introduce it in.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

In this case, I don't care who developed it, as long as it works (and believe me, it does work, because I've really put it to the test!).

With it turned off you can "wag the tail" all over the place. With it turned on, the car tracks like it's riding on rails.

Mr. P
    Central USA

2004 Volvo 2.5T AWD XC90, Ash Gold, Taupe, 7-seat

Too many other cars to list.