Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I did it...

Default I did it...

I ordered a new XC70, with a manual 6-speed gearbox to replace my current geartronic (which I couldn't get used to).

It will have the upgraded D5 engine (with particle filter and Euro 4 compliant). 185 Hp, 400 Nm torque (same as V70 R...) 7.6 liter/100km average consumption (=only 68% of the fuel consumption of the XC70 2.5T!). Lava sand color, sand leather interior. Delivery mid July. I'm really looking forward to driving it!

Compared to my current car, I dropped the bi-xenons (worse than the halogens imho), the 6 disc CD changer (will be replaced by an iPod link), and the heated seats (work too slow)

Concerning the laminated glass, the jury is still out on this one. Should I take it or not? What other options would you recommend? Opinions welcome, and I can still change the configuration for a week or so...

Default no heated seats!

Man you will need those heated seats. I would seriously consider ordering them. I would never get a car without heated seats. slow or not. And of course you can get a VADIS download if you think they are too cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Filibuster
    Man you will need those heated seats. I would seriously consider ordering them. I would never get a car without heated seats. slow or not. And of course you can get a VADIS download if you think they are too cold.
    To be honest, I don't see the point of the heated seats. I had them for 6 months on my current XC70, and I rarely used them, although my cars remains outside and we had some cold wheather in the winter (-9 deg Celcius). The reason why I originally ordered them is because I thought they would fill the cold time when the engine wasn't heated up (a diesel engine heats slower). It turned out that, by the time the seats start to feel warm, there engine is already heating up the cabin anyway. Of course, that is just my personal opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by vtie
    To be honest, I don't see the point of the heated seats. I had them for 6 months on my current XC70, and I rarely used them, although my cars remains outside and we had some cold wheather in the winter (-9 deg Celcius). The reason why I originally ordered them is because I thought they would fill the cold time when the engine wasn't heated up (a diesel engine heats slower). It turned out that, by the time the seats start to feel warm, there engine is already heating up the cabin anyway. Of course, that is just my personal opinion...
    vtie,

congratulations on your new purchase....concerning the heated seats....I tend to agree with you....they take too long to heat up. That said though, I love them and I don't think I could or would ever have another car without them. I do wish that they would heat up just a bit quicker though. I also agree with your decision to drop the bi-Xenons - I don't have them, but enough users of this forum have complained about them that I'm less than impressed (I loved the Xenons on my BMW though).
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Thumbs up Good work on these selections

Vtie - Congratulations . I think you have made all the right decisions.

Drop the bi-xenon - I have them and have a very low opinion of their road illumination. Drove home a month ago and stayed in a hotel overnight instead of proceeding because of the darned things. They are a safety hazard!

Afraid I would stay with the heated seats. Again, not nearly as efficient as those in our Jeep or Mercedes, but still worthwhile on those long trips from the ski hills.

The diesel - what can I say? I'd love to have one whenever we are towing our boat.

6 speed manual - you know my thoughts on that one as well. A fine choice indeed .

Overall, well done! Sure hope this car runs to your liking.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Is there different types of heated seats for different markets? Mine is heating fast and I have to turn the heat of after 3...5 minutes at 0 celsius ambient temperature.

Heated seats
    The temperature (high and low) can be set by Volvo's VADIS system at your dealer. The factory settings differ for different markets.
    My04 XC70 ocean blue, 2.5T petrol, AWD, manual, DSTC, Nokian WR

Quote Originally Posted by XC70Geo
    Heated seats
    The temperature (high and low) can be set by Volvo's VADIS system at your dealer. The factory settings differ for different markets.
    Yes, but the temperature isn't the problem.
    The highest settings is actually too high for my taste, and I don't think it's very good for certain organs in that neighborhood .
    It's just that it doesn't really fill te gap until the engine starts heating, which was the only thing I expected from them.

Anyhow, I think that I just don't really like the concept of heated seats!

I see your point of view, but what about the same leather seats without heating? This winter shows me, it's a good option, may be not the best on the market, but IMHO worth it's price.
    My04 XC70 ocean blue, 2.5T petrol, AWD, manual, DSTC, Nokian WR

About engine warming up

It's very common here in Western Siberia that cars have electric heating element (roughly 500W, 230VAC) in the engine plus cabine heater (1500W). Preheating time is 2hr in -20C and 30 min in 0C. Preheated engine warms up much faster and preheated interiors are also very nice. Easier to remove ice from windshield too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast