Default Port Customs Fee

I have been tracking the travels of my XC via the Wallenius Wilhelmsen web site (thanks for the tip) and am expecting it to arrive in Ga. on 3/18/05. I have been told by my dealer (and paper work from VCNA) that I will have to pay the port customs fee upon its arrival.

Does anyone have experience in paying this fee? Are there any snags that I should be aware of? I want it out of the port and on its way here ASAP.

Thanks!
    2005 XC70 - Lava Sand - Premium - Convenience - Climate

We got an XC70 through OSD in '03 and we are getting an S80 AWD through OSD later this month. I am unaware of any customs fee paid by us last time or to be paid by us this time.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Lightbulb

If you are the importer of the car you are liable for everything, and that includes all local taxes, port handling charges and transportation charges to your pick-up point, BUT, as you are doing this on an OSD scheme I cannot see you having to fork out any more charges. The only new charge introduced by US Customs is the new Homeland security charge but this has been in operation for some months now and I guess it would have been built into your costs at the time of ordering. So as a direct answer to your question I would say you do not have to pay any more money for "extra" charges incurred as these would have already been paid for in your initial order.

I should have been more specific. I am ordering the vehicle under the Military/Diplomat program. The paper work that VCNA sent reads,

"A port customs fee could apply to all Volvo Diplomat and Military customers when the vehicle enters the United States. This 2.5% fee is based on the bill of sale unless proof of exemption is provided."

I thought the fee would have been added into the pricing also but it wasn't (I just double checked my invoice). Not trusting the dealer, I called OSD in CA and they stated I would have to pay it because it was basiclly "Duty". I don't get an exemption because I am a US citizen and therefore am required to pay the duty.

Thanks again.

Unhappy Customs

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy
    I should have been more specific. This 2.5% fee is based on the bill of sale unless proof of exemption is provided. "Duty". I don't get an exemption because I am a US citizen and therefore am required to pay the duty.
    2.5% - As the parrot says "who's a lucky Boy" wow in Euroland the Duty is 10% and then your local Country (State) TAX which in the UK is 17.5%, Ireland 21% etc and then your excise tax, so all of this on an English "duty paid car" could be as much as GBP £10,000 then we have our higher fuel prices as well.

What "perk or saving" did you get, going via the military program vs an order at your local car dealer?

The diplomat/military program saves a little more off the top end compared to the OSD pricing. If you go to www.flyvolvo.com and look at the specs and pricing you can see the comparison. Its a pretty good savings considering the sticker prices.

I finally got my customs fee paid. The OSD folks were able to get me in touch with the right people. Now I just have to wait for ground transportation.