Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Squeaks in Cargo Area

Searched our past threads but did not find anything to pin point the cause of a newly developed squeak in the cargo area on our '04 XC70.

The car has 12,000 km of mainly highway driving. Squeak developed this weekend while skiing. Temperature fairly mild today at -15C to a high of +2C. Squeak occurs at every bump on the road and is annoying.

Stopped 7 times to rearrange things by removing the cargo cover, re-tilting the seats, padding the rear cargo cover etc. All to no avail. Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.

John
    By the way, she drove beautifully on the return trip from Whistler - 200kph on the turns through the Rockies (sure hope Faye never reads this).
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

John,

Nice to see the rig back on home turf.

Can’t say that I’ve experienced any noises from the rear cargo area, but, in the past, had an annoying squeak that came from the latch mechanism of the center backrest. A light application of lithium grease was all that was required and we haven’t heard from it since. Have you tried driving with the center backrest either lowered or removed?

John, here is a guess, try this. Take some rubber/plastic protectant (like my favorite 303 stuff), and wipe it around on the weather strip on the rear hatch. You may want to do the body, too, where it the weather strip contacts. This will make it slippery again, and hopefully the squeak (chirp) will go away as the two pieces can once again make tiny movements with respect to each other as the body flexes as you hit bumps. Worked for me.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Art - yes, I did try reversing and then removing the arm rest. It was not the culprit.

Gibbons - I think you are on to something. After having secured everything else, I am starting to think that it might be coming directly from the rear door itself. I will try the 303 protectant route and see if that helps.

Thanks guys. I'm off to Toronto this afternoon, so this will have to wait for the weekend before I report back.

John
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Default Some tipps ...

1. Was the grid up? When down, it should make no squeak.
    2. Anything in the little case under the first basement plate?
    3. Maybe somthing from the paneling is not correct mounted?
    4. For sure - take a look under the car (exhaust, ...)

Hope the helps :-)
    Regards
    Torsten - the XC-Fan (and mostly noiseless on the road :-)

I had that squeek and it was the rear tail light lens on the drivers side ( in my case ). I couldn't stand that noise. And as you mentionned, every bumps and it really sounded like "squeek" and not "crick" nor "crack" nor "toc". It was a real "squeek". My fix was simple, I loosened the nuts from the interior so that from the outside I could move the lens a little bit and get some stuff between the rubber gasket and the car's body itself. Then I took some silicone spray and the fix was gone for only 2 weeks. Did it again but this time I used greaseless lubricant spray from LPS ( a bit like W40 but for industrial purposes). Now 10 months later, still fine and no squeeks.

Keep me posted

Luc
    Montreal, Canada
    2002 XC Premium package, Ash Gold, taupe, Michelin Hydroedges.
    2003 Jetta GLS silver 5 spd TDI.

Reading this in Toronto (car is in Calgary). My thanks to everyone for these tips - several of which I wouldn't have ever thought to consider. I will try them all out when I get home this weekend.

John

Default Update on Squeaks from Cargo Area.

Tried all your (Art/Gibbons/Thorsten/Luc) suggestions on Saturday. After applications of silicone etc. without success, I think that Thorsten may have hit on the root cause. Faye finally sat in the trunk on the way home from skiing this afternoon and narrowed the source to the passenger rear panel. Not sure whether it is just the fitting of the panel or something in the wheel well.

I have left the car with the dealer as it sure is a pain to listen to. Will keep you posted with his results.

John

I also had a little squeek when going over bumps in my 04 V70 AWD and found it to be the rear seat latch. Fold the seat down (leave it down) and drive over some bumps to see if that makes the squeek go away. If so, you can grease the metal pin and locking mech with lube. That was my problem and now my squeek is gone now.

Tom
    2005 XC90 2.5T AWD-Titanium Grey Metallic & Lt. Taupe Leather -OSD July 8, 2005. Premium, Versatility, and Climate Packages, IPD running boards, and XPEL clear bra.

2004 V70 AWD-Nautic Blue & Tan leather-Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, GT, Cold Weather Pkg, Boosters, OSD Oct 2003 - Sold October, 2005. One of a kind color combination.

Ditto for me. Rear seat latches squeaking like mad... dealer lubed up and quiet now.... I thought it was in back since I put a bunch of sand and mulch in back and figured it messed up the cargo floor.
    04 XC70 Silver w/ Graphite Leather, Premium Package,Touring Package,Integrated Booster Seats,Xenia Wheels, ipd upgrades, WR G3 SUV Nokians, NEW Angle Gear, ipd HD End-Links: 162k
    12 Honda Pilot EX-L
    04 Acura TSX (sold)
    98 Jetta (sold)
    98 GTI VR6, GIAC tuned, Jetex Exhaust (sold)
    87 Jeep Wrangler (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast