Default smoke problem for newbie !!!

Hi everybody,
    I'm a new owner of 98 XC70.I love this car.Run well, quiet.I have it for a month now, but there is something that bothers me.It gives a lot of vapor clouds from the exhaust.When cold, and it's winter now it's understenable but even when temperature gauge reaches it's level (?) I think it should go away.I watch other cars on the road and it's only me "in the clouds" .I see people keeping distance from me because of that.No other car that I owned before produced that much.I have it checked by mechanic and he said it's normal, 'cos it is vapor not smoke.Does anybody has the same???
    On a rainy day my rear window is so foggy from this, that I have to use wiper to see.
    Also once I start the car I hear kind of electronic buzz - is it normal for this Volvo ?
    Please help.
    Beata
    Last edited by Beata; 02-20-2005 at 07:35 AM.

Default Brings back memories!

Ahhh, I'd forgotten all about that little vapour issue with my now long departed XC which was the same vintage as yours.

Turned out to be nothing to worry about at all with mine - the only possible issue that was nothing to worry about, mind you!! Took it into the dealer who assured me it was nothing more than vapor. I have to be honest and say your vapour clouds sound more prolific than mine were but you have had it looked out and all sounds to be in order.

Welcome to the site, Beata.
    Slender
    '02 S80

Default I think it's just a "Volvo" thing

Welcome. I have a 99XC and have 84k miles (of which I put on the last 14k). I have always noted that my XC puts out a lot of exaust vapor when driving in the cold. Much more than previous 240 or other cars I've owned. However the car is running great and there has been no problem and no increase or decrease in the amount of vapor. While yours sounds a bit more than mine I have always wondered if it's just a "wagon" thing with the chopped off back end. In either case I wouldn't worry about it unless there is some other symptom showing up.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

First time I saw all that "smoke" behind the car I was just a tad bit concerned myself. When I realized it was just exhaust vapors on a cold day I felt a little silly for worrying about it. I think it is just "a wagon thing".
    Mike
    Bluegrass-XC
    (Somewhere on the Space Coast)

2000 V70 SE Cross Country
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4 (in Blazer Heaven)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".