Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ArtSmart View Post
    Thanks! One more dumb question. Does anybody have a link for a aluminium seal ring? Is it the same that is sold at IPD for oil drain plug?
    Haven't seen any available. If there is one, your dealer has it; can't cost too much. Bolt seemed much larger than oil pan drain plug, so I never tried that seal ring. I re-used the old one - no leaks so far...

Red face on line source for volvo spec ATF

hello everyone,

I am an old member of brick board.com and a new member here.

I have flushed the transmission fluid in 2 850's and An C70 using the process I had found on the brick board and is identical to the one descibed on this board.

I am going to do a flush on my 2003 xc as soon as I recieve the
    ATF I ordered on line that I can not obtain locally,Here is the web address to
    the Mobil 3309 ,
    http://store.avlube.com/mobilatf3309.html It is AV Lubricants web site.

I hope that this can be help to others that are having a hard time finding it in their neck of the woods!

It is best to have 14 to 16 quarts of 3309 on hand to get a really clear flush. Since a case from avlube is only 12 quarts, you might want to contact jkvolvo on this thread:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=67917&page=2

He has a few extra quarts available. Remember that the ATF flow is reversed from your 850.

Default Anyone with a 2002 >100k w/o problems?

I just picked up a 2002 XC70 and after reading through these forums decided to order my case of 3309 and do the flush since mine has 103k on it. Case arrives today I would just like to here from anyone out there who owns a 2002 and has lots of miles on it and has not had any trans problems. All this talk of failing trans is starting to make me think that I have to start a Volvo Trans IRA or 401K or something to save for the eventual shelling out or $3K for a new one. Is there any hope?

Mine is an '03 not an '02 but I would offer the opinion that if you are not having any problems at present you could well go a long time without issues by:

changing the ATF fluid at reasonable intervals;

keeping track of the bevel (aka angle) gear for signs of any seepage (and perhaps even replacing the fluid if you are a type A person);

keeping all four of your tires close to the same diameter.

Good luck,

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Lightbulb

Agree with BillAileo. I have 85k on my '01 (generally conceded to be the most unreliable trannies), and so far I haven't left a trail of gears and red oil on the highway. In addition to the fluid change, make sure that you have the latest software upgrade; this varies by MY, and your dealer can possibly tell from the service history if this has been done; given the mileage of the car, I'll bet it has.

BillAileo's comment about maintaining equal tire circumference on all four wheels is interesting. I don't think I have seen this recommendation for transmission longevity before, and have looked at numerous posts about the A-W trannies in the past. In the case of my MY '01, it made the greatest difference in tranny performance. I previously posted my thoughts on this:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9017

but, alas, no one seemed interested. Anyway, I bought the car from a Volvo dealer with unequal tread front and rear, and had the annual inspection done at the same dealership, again with unequal tread on the tires, and no one suggested this as a potential fix for the harsh shifts.

My next step is to add a filter. This thread may be of interest:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=69935

Good luck, clemstock. You have one of the highest mileage '01 - '02's that I have seen posted recently.
    2004 XC70 43K Silver over Graphite, Premium and Cold Weather packages.
    2001 V70 XC, 93K, 08/01 build in Torslanda, Sweden, stock except for K&N. Gone but not forgotten.
    1995 850 Turbo - great ride with 225K, not mine any more
    2004 XC90 - it's gone
    1993 850 GLT - not really missed
    1986 GMC Suburban 2500, 454 V8 - for pulling really heavy things.
    VCOA

all good information - but what if you want to go from Dextron III to a Syn? You are going to have cross contamination. Will the method described in the above be safe enough?? Also what is this I hear abou tif you have very old fluid th enew fluid will attack the seals?

thanks

As this is the 2001+ XC70 forum, hopefully no one with an applicable car is using Dexron III. To the best of my knowledge, only fluids meeting the JWS 3309 standard, such as Mobil 3309, are approved for these transmissions and using anything else can cause major damage.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Just got off the phone with Amsoil, Redline, Shaeffer and Royal Purple. ALL but Amsoil said the 3309 nine stuff is special and that only ExonMobil are the ones that make the stuff. Although Amsoil said theirs would work, everyone of the other guys said that it would not.

So there ya go.

Default Size of Tranny plug crush washer?

Okay...I don't usually hang out here but you guys have been doing this for awhile and I have a transmission fluid change coming up on our '04 V70...it is really the same as your XC's. Someone else has asked but I've never seen an answer.

What size is the transmission drain plug's crush washer? Is it the same as the oil plug's? I'd like to do this tomorrow if at all possible, but hate to get into it and find that the Groton aluminum crush washers don't fit.
    Thanks in advance.