Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Just flushed using this procedure myself. Worked great. Here are few additional notes

- The ATF dip stick is a lot easier to get to if you remove the air pipe that feeds the air filter box. This pipe comes out really easily. It is just fitted on with plastic tabs to the air filter box + another plastic piece over the top of the radiator.

- A transmission funnel like the one in the following link works great! Easy to get the small flexible pipe into the ATF dip stick hole down below. With the airb filter box intake pipe removed. There is a lot of room to work. Got mine at the local auto parts store for about $2.

http://www.blitzusa.com/automotive/funnels.html

- I had ATF spilling out of the ATF dip stick pipe. I guess there might be air pockets in the system while flushing and perhaps my tranny couldn't take in the amount that was pumped out. So I learned a good lesson to keep the belly pan off until you completely finish! And check periodically for ATF overflowing from the dip stick pipe while filling (just look at the ATF dip stick pipe from below the car)
    Last edited by howardc64; 01-08-2006 at 09:57 AM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

I don't get it, if we can afford this car, we can affort to have a pro change the tranny fluid?

I know it's a cool guy thing to say "Yup, changed it myself and it only took 4 hours and cost but a buck fifty"; but, considering the cost if it get's f-d up I'm leaving my tranny to the pros.
    '07 XC70 Crystal Green, Boy/Monkey, 2 Black Labs (who love the back)
    '08 Nissan Versa SL

Quote Originally Posted by XChuck
    I don't get it, if we can afford this car, we can affort to have a pro change the tranny fluid?

I know it's a cool guy thing to say "Yup, changed it myself and it only took 4 hours and cost but a buck fifty"; but, considering the cost if it get's f-d up I'm leaving my tranny to the pros.
    money is only part of it, for most DIY folks, not the major part,

- it is fun to work on it, for those you can manage

- if you work on your car on those regular maintanance, you are more likely to develop a routine to check up your car's condition, which is better for the car and safety

- assume pro is "perfect", I agree, but my last dealer regular service, it did not clip all the locks on air filter ! a previous oil change actually leak!

- plus, Volvo believes it does not need to change tranny, "life time" , you will most likely see why lots of folkds dont believe it, if you see the "black paste" and old fluid coming out of the tranny...

again, it is a personal choice, it is also cool to say" hey, I always take mine S80 to dealer, and I also get chance to test drive on those loaner..."

I left my car's alignment to the pros. They did it wrong. I had to take it to another shop, have it re-done, and prove to the dealership that they were wrong. I was successful, and the dealership wrote me a check to cover what I paid to have it done right.

I actually enjoy doing stuff like this. Rolling around under this car is pretty entertaining because it is so nicely built.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

I totally agree with Gibbons. And when you have instructions as well put together as what Gibbons wrote up on transmission fluid you not only end up with a job done as well as a pro would do it, you get a better understanding of how the car functions and what to be on the look out for. Granted, DIY is not for everyone, but I think those of us who do it generally feel like it is very worthwhile.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

I wish I had all the money and time back I have wasted with "pros" who did not do a quality job.

Had to take my XC70 back to the dealer after the last two scheduled services because they screwed up (two different dealers - both screwed up - loose coolant reservoir cap and subsequent low coolant at the one and loose power steering hose clamp and subsequent leaking fluid at the second).

Then there is my Jeep. Four fuel pump "failures" over 30 thousand miles before I insisted they look harder. Turns out the wiring harness was actually damaged and there was nothing wrong with the pumps. Either they misdiagnosed the problem everytime, or the "pro" who replaced the first bad pump damaged the wiring harness while doing the job, and they only misdiagnosed it three times. One of these pros also left the air cleaner housing unconnected, just flopping around on top of the engine, with unfiltered air going directly into the intake.

Yes. It is fine if you are fortunate enough to have your vehicle worked on by a truly competent professional. But chances are many times you are not, and guess what? Because you don't work on your own vehicle you are far less likely to notice that you haven't gotten the "professional" job you think you did.

When you DIY you gain some expertise, and if you are careful and take your time, you are going to do just as good a job as a competent pro, and a far better job than an incompetent one. Plus there is a degree of satisfaction doing it yourself and not being dependent on someone else. And you can deal more knowledgeably with the pros when you have to.

So if I you simply don't have the time, inclination, or aptitude to DIY that's fine, but that is not a reason to question the judgement of people who do.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Absolutely, Pennhaven. Best synopsis regarding "pro" vs DIY I've read.

Yours is the first in this thread I've read, so I don't know the history or origin of this topic, but I have myself come to realize that I can do just as good a job, possibly better, at most maintenance items than a "pro", with the exception of things like exhaust systems or wheel balancing, etc. And, as you've mentioned, I KNOW what was done and how, and I'm not left wondering.

Good points all; I take the same DIY approach with my house and totally get the satisfaction aspect. I never meant this as a put down to those who do so sorry if it was taken that way. I totally respect that.

The vehicle has always been something I've never had the time or inclination for. Hence I find it intimidating. Wood, molding, drywall and wiring are more my thing. I also feel that if I do dive in I risk voiding my warranty - or is that not correct?

All in all, we've all had mishaps with auto mechanics and all wish our sister's had married a good one or one of our high school friends had become one; it's too bad the 'pros' aren't more professional.
    '07 XC70 Crystal Green, Boy/Monkey, 2 Black Labs (who love the back)
    '08 Nissan Versa SL

I don't believe you void a warranty doing your own work so long as you can document you did it & any problem is not the result of the DIY work.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Good points all; I take the same DIY approach with my house and totally get the satisfaction aspect. I never meant this as a put down to those who do so sorry if it was taken that way. I totally respect that.
    I was actually the opposite, to certain extend,

I started DIY on car, which helped my to understand car, and improved the safety awareness...then my motocycle (I did make stupid mistakes);

I found stuffs around house intimitading, until I did a trial project on hard floor myself, that was losy job, but it got me hooked up, and start to like it...

you see, there is always 1st time, then you learn along the way...