Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Add me to the ranks of the gibbonites!

Flushed about 17 qts of 3309 through today, very simple as has been said here. I still have to top up a bit, after a preliminary test drive and initial top up.

I noticed a little bit of rough shifting in auto mode from 1-2 and 2-3 on the initial drive, i am guessing because the level was a little low and there was still some air in the system.

I initially measured what came out with each cycle, but stopped measuring after the first 2 cycles because it was tedious and about 2 quarts came out with each cycle, so I just added 2 quarts after each cycle. This seemed to work ok and if I had done this from the beginning my wife would not be cursing me for using her pyrex measuring cup!

BTW the torque spec for the drain plug is 40 nm, from vadis, and it is 24 mm.
    2001 XC70

Default french gibbonites from Quebec!

Hello everyone!

First post here !

Really love this site and people !

Thanks to everyone who make the effort and patience for giving good information about our Cross-Country !!

About a week now i am a new owner of a 2002 xc70 with 180.000km on it.

Last tuesday i flush my oil trans. with Gibbons style and everything went Ok!

I was changing my oil because it was dirty and the trans. giving me a small delay from Park to drive or Reverse to Drive (about 1-2 sec) Is it normal ??

With all the info i took here on the forum, i decide to use the Toyota fluid !
    I mean TYPE T-IV. It was $7.37 / L ! Volvo was $33.00 / L

In my case, i flush with 12L and it was very clean after. And the magnet on the plug have a small amount of black paste!

The verdic after 4 days using it!!!
    On the road the Shifting are smoother and no more delay from Park to Reverse
    and drive to reverse, but, still have a small delay from Park to Drive or Reverse to Drive.

Will let you know if something new

Erik
    Last edited by softerik; 09-21-2007 at 06:58 PM.

I am going to have my o1XC's gearbox flushed by Toyota type IV tomorrow. Will let all you guys know if there is anything wrong.

Did mine using Gibbons around 2 weeks ago.

Feels like a new car. Shifting is smooth, no more flare between 2 & 3.

What a great tip. And, I saved, what, $250 in labor from the stealership?
    '01 Volvo V70 XC Ash Gold
    Beige/Light Sand Leather
    Premium / Touring / Booster

Flushed mine two days ago. Great result - smooth shifts. I also used Toyota T-IV. Bought 16L @ $7.36/L at Toyota dealership here in Calgary. Used 13L altogether.
    Thanks!

oouu another calgarian. Are there pictures for the gibbons method?

There is a picture at the beginning of the thread with the transmission cooler hose location, which is all you need. I picked up 10' of a 3/4" clear vinyl hose and a funnel with a measuring cup on top and has an ON/OFF valve (it is made out of a clear vinyl tubing instead of hard plastic and fits perfectly in the transmission dipstick hole) at Canadian Tire, 5L measuring jug from NAPA and T-IV fluid from Heninger Toyota on McLeod. I just followed Gibbons instructions and it all went pretty good. The only surprise was when draining the old fluid I did not put the measuring jug I used to collect the oil in the right place so I spilled some oil on the garage floor and then had to fish for the plug since it ended up in the jug.
    Cheers
    Last edited by mitek_75; 09-28-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Default Toyota fluid

Is the consensus that the Toyota Type IV fluid meets the same specs as the Mobile 3309? And that the Toyota fluid is just fine to use?
    I think it'd be easier to find the toyota fluid than the mobile.

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge-789995 View Post
    Is the consensus that the Toyota Type IV fluid meets the same specs as the Mobile 3309? And that the Toyota fluid is just fine to use?
    I think it'd be easier to find the toyota fluid than the mobile.

thanks,
    Can anybody confirm the above question please i.e. is the Toyota Type IV "3309" compliant?

Take a look at Mobil's specification sheet for its JWS 3309 compliant ATF, Mobil 3309:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_ATF_3309.asp

and look at the Toyota line in the chart. I interpret this and the many postings elsewhere on the use of Toyota Type IV as meaning both Mobil 3309 and Toyota Type IV meet the JWS 3309 specification.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)