Default OSD and Norway The Middle of May

Has anyone driven up to Oslo,Lilliehammer and over the mts. to the Fjords the middle of May? Picking uo an XC90 2.5 AWD May 13.The National Tourist Routes sound and look perfect for a 10 day sojourn.Any comments would be most welcome.

Venice, CA; 2004 XC70, Silver (AKA: Silvia)

Bergen is beautiful and May can have nice weather. Have not driven over the mountains in May. Call or email the tourist board in Lilliehammer and ask about typical road conditions for that time of year. Always be prepared for a quick rain in Norway.

Cheers

Default Weather In Bergen

Silverstar, Thanks for the weather tips. Idid e-mail TI inLilliehammer about another question Ill ask about the mountain weather Between Lilliehammer and Bergen.The road I intend to take is a National Tourist Route and from what I read they keep it cleared.It would be intertesting if Iget to use the Haldex AWD.The better half is still skeptical about going over the mountains.

Venice, CA; 2004 XC70, Silver (AKA: Silvia)

I think it's a perfect trip for your car, this is exactly what the car is built for. The car is very comfortable to be in and you feel very safe even though it's brutal outside. Norway has the best roads in the world, I would feel fine taking my grandmother. The weather can be perfect and summer like or you can experience winter in May. I've had good experiences with the Haldex although you probably will not need it. Make sure to study the local ferries around Bergen, It's the best way to get around and not expensive. It's also a great way to see the fjords just getting from point A to point B while taking a driving break & having a cup of coffee.
    2 things to consider, 1: The legal driving speed is very low, 2: The roads are not straight with many turns and hard to gauge on maps how long it will take. I would almost have to double the amount of time compared to driving here in the States just getting to point A to point B.

Be prepared for rain by the coast, it's not bad but it does rain a lot. It's kinda like Seattle. Invest in a good & light Gore-Tex jacket and hiking/walking shoes that can handle a puddle or two. The rain comes and goes quickly so it's not much of a problem. Don't worry, it's well worth going to Norway! Few people get to go there and even less do it in there own car, I consider it one of the most beautiful places in the world to visit and I can compare it to going to the Masai Mara on safari as an experience.

Cheers

Default norway in May

Hei there,

I was just passing by the web site when I saw your ad. I live in Norway, so feel free to contact me for any info you may require.

one thing....I strongly suggest you to be around the 16th and 17th of may. The 17th of may is national holiday, and it's a huge thing. Many people going around the streets in traditional dress and forming incredibly long and various parades. The 16th is a all day long party in most of the student town. I personally live in TRondheim, and I can tell you that I have never been in a longer and cooler party in my whole life.

Weather in that period should be wonderful: sunshine and chill temperature.
    I don't come around the web site all that much, so if you need anything I suggest you send me an e-mail

Bye
    Zacky

We took a similar trip in May of '03 and it was one of the best vacations we ever had. One word of caution: do not drink (at all) and drive.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)