Default My radio and trip meters don't like cold weather

Noticed that my radio display is wacky in cold weather. Once my interior warms up, it appears fine. Another coldweather side effect is my T1/T2 trip meters reset. This too tends to happen in cold weather from a cold start. Anybody else experiencing this?
    2004 XC70 Silver/Graphite Leather, Premium, Touring

Quote Originally Posted by lintbrush
    Noticed that my radio display is wacky in cold weather. Once my interior warms up, it appears fine. Another coldweather side effect is my T1/T2 trip meters reset. This too tends to happen in cold weather from a cold start. Anybody else experiencing this?
    I haven't noticed this phenomenon with my trip odometer, but the radio display slowing down in low temepratures is quite normal. LCD screens in cold have an inclanation to slow down their display capabilities. If you have an old LCD watch, put it in a freezer for half an hour, and you will see how wacky the display will look. Simply put, nothing to be concerned with.

Ta-ta, janusz
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

Lintbrush,

I have also noted sluggish displays with everything LCD in very cold weather, which is normal.

However, my trip odometer was also reset on a VERY cold morning, and I had service messages for the DSTC and EBA systems (!). I rearranged my work schedule for an emergency trip to the dealer (the car only had 2000 km at the time), only to find that they were gone later that day when the weather had warmed up a little...

Let's just say I was a bit worried, as I need a car that performs in cold weather... However, during more recent cold spells, nothing of the sort recurred.

Crossing my fingers...

The XC70 drives like a champ in our winter conditions though (my wallet still smarts from the price of the NF3s at the dealer, however).

HB
    --------------------------------------------------------
    2004 XC70 - Silver, Premium / Sport / Touring packages.
    Nothing hugs like the HuggyBear!

This is what my radio looks like in the mornings and my trip1 & 2's keep randomly resetting. I'm close to my 7,500 mile maintenance and will see what they say.

http://www.mrmutt.com/volvo/#radio_display
    Last edited by lintbrush; 03-04-2005 at 01:03 AM.

A software update has supposedly fixed my tripmeters, but no explaination about my cold weather radio display. I'll see how the next 7500 miles go before I gripe again.

Cool

I like that trim! Do you have any more pics of the aluminum trim? I've been thinking of doing that as well....
    '01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite Leather, Nokian WRs
    '09 XC70/Ice White/Sandstone Leather,VCOA

Your picture is interesting.
    When cold, some parts are brighter, some are darker on my display, but the overall picture is ok. This can be explained as some LCD areas are not functioning 100%, because they are cold, and needs to be warmed. But the electic control is ok.
    On your picture it seems, that the electric control fails, and puts voltage on parts, that should not get to be driven.
    Strange, and now I know what was your problem. I assume, that some of the display contacts shortcuts when it's cold, or contacts with neighbor pins. It does not seem to me a software problem.
    My04 XC70 ocean blue, 2.5T petrol, AWD, manual, DSTC, Nokian WR

Default LCD display and cold weather

Quote Originally Posted by lintbrush
    This is what my radio looks like in the mornings and my trip1 & 2's keep randomly resetting. I'm close to my 7,500 mile maintenance and will see what they say.

http://www.mrmutt.com/volvo/#radio_display
    I'm up in Burlington, Vermont and I have the same problem with the LED display on really cold days..and my LCD watch does the same thing. I left it sitting on the console a few days ago and not only was my radio display messed up but so was my watch. Once the car (or watch) warms up, the problem goes away.

I had an '02 Ford Escape prior to getting my '05 XC and whenever the temperature dropped to around -10F or below, the LCD display reacted the same way.

The problem isn't unique to Volvo's tho, I've talked to several friends that have the same problem with their cars.

I'd be more understanding if the temperature was approaching freezing, but I see this when the outside temperature is 55-60 f degrees. I'll monitor it for a while. Thanks for the replies.