Default XC70/V50 Winter Test Drive Event

Well here's a pleasant development... Later this week I'll be heading East to Quebec City to participate in a Winter Test Drive of the Volvo XC70 and V50 AWD!

Needless to say, I'm absolutely ecstatic about getting a chance to drive the 05 XC70 in what I'm hoping to be brutal Quebec Winter conditions and to add, I think this also shows that Volvo is indeed interested in the VolvoXC.com community.

As I'm sure you'd expect, I'll have all the details documented in text, photos, and maybe even some video, so stay tuned over the next couple weeks!!

If you have any specific questions you'd like answered, please post them here and I'll do my best to find answers to them when I'm there!
    Last edited by coastal; 01-17-2005 at 06:28 PM.
    01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite/Touring & Versatility Packs/No Mods
    Servoweb Technologies developers of web stuff...
    Paddle Surf Canada
    CanSkier.com Skier Community

Do you really mean that you are going to test an XC50?
    2001 XC silver/brown-taupe. All the bells and whistles.
    Nokian WR 235-60-16

1975 Mercedes 450 SL silver/black

Taylor,

You lucky guy - makes me green with envy, envy is a sin so perhaps delete that .(haha)

Seriously though, if the right sort of Volvo people are there could you do something about getting access to technical information in general - "workshop manuals", TSBs and so on. Over here the cost is astronomical, and the VCNA site rejects me as not US resident. Access to "trusted" forum members might be an idea.

If you can get technical details of the AWD components and features; Haldex, DSTC, 4C and the like for public consumption, then that would be a plus.
    Mike.

Mine: XC 70 Sport 2009 D5 Inscription Electric Blue.
    VNS, DSTC and 4C, BLIS, LDW ventilated leather ACC; Yummy.

All gone now - XC70 MY 13 SE LUX Flamenco red - goes better than the '09 even with its "Polestar plus" upgrade. I justy miss the PCC...

Hers: V60 Flamenco Red 215HP D5 (like above XC70 spec)

Prepo, wishful thinking ... We're testing the V50 AWD. I don't think Volvo has even officially confirmed that the XC50 is going to be produced.

TrueBlue, gaining access to shop manuals is going to be a next to impossible feat, though I will make a note about asking about that.
    Paddle Surf Canada

I questioned the XC50 because that is what you said you were going to be testing in your original post. Obviously a typo. Enjoy the Quebec winter. It should be a good test of the new models.
    2001 XC silver/brown-taupe. All the bells and whistles.
    Nokian WR 235-60-16

1975 Mercedes 450 SL silver/black

ha, only noticed it now, my mistake! Sorry about that, definitely the V50
    Paddle Surf Canada

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Great News Taylor and about time someone up there recognized you for your efforts!! I’m so stoked fer ya!

Any chance that you’ll have time to hook up with any of the Quebec forum members such as Raynald or SnowXCrazy?

Look forward to your writeup and pics of the winter test drive.

Thanks Art... I'd love to be able to meet up with some of the other members, but it looks like I'm going to have an extremely short time in Quebec City, arrive at 4:30pm on Wednesday, gone at 9:30am Friday. That said though, I might be able to hook up if anyone's here's going to be in Quebec City during this time? IIRC, most of our Quebec members are in Montreal.
    Paddle Surf Canada

Default Just another thought:-

As far as I can see AWD in the V50 is really a way of getting the power to the pavement, and not for any soft-road capability, as it it only available on the T5 version - it kinda bears out my assumption.

As the Haldex looks like a very configurable system, I'd be interested whether any tweaks have been applied which would make it less suitable for slippery conditions. I guess the same applies to the DSTC component.

Given that the V50 is very much a road vehicle - and the T5 may be lowered, I'd be interested in whether in you opinion it would be capable of very soft-off-road use. In fact will you find any HUGE difference between the AWD on the V50 and the XC70.

I'm intrigued to notice that the XC90 is not included on your list (if that's not an omission on your part), is it that Volvo have decided that the '90 is aimed at road users and the '70 leans towards the more adventurous driver. Or perhaps '70 ales are flagging and the model needs a marketing shove. It sure would be a shame to see the XC70 disappear, especially as it is much "greener" than the XC90.

I've just run some vehicles through the Volvo configurator and notice that DSTC is standard on all V70s as well as the XC70. Seems crazy as it is not essential for our roads and driving. Would you query why it is not either standard over there - and/ or why not available on stock cars?
    Mike.

Mine: XC 70 Sport 2009 D5 Inscription Electric Blue.
    VNS, DSTC and 4C, BLIS, LDW ventilated leather ACC; Yummy.

All gone now - XC70 MY 13 SE LUX Flamenco red - goes better than the '09 even with its "Polestar plus" upgrade. I justy miss the PCC...

Hers: V60 Flamenco Red 215HP D5 (like above XC70 spec)

Wink

Coastal,

Unfortunately I won't be in Quebec city this week, my best advice for you bring a warm coat with you, it is -24 celsius today and about -14 tomorrow in Quebec city with snow, they don't have too much snow compare with last year but a lot of icy roads. This is a great time and weather to test-drive the cars lucky you!!!!, I hope you will enjoy your stay in the old city by the way there is a couples of great restaurant in Quebec city such as Café du monde or Laurie rafael , I don't know if the Volvo people will treat you well but after a great day of test-driving this is like the cherry on the sundae.

let us know where did you go, test results and how the XC performed

Enjoy your stay in the wonderful old city
    Last edited by Nylon; 01-18-2005 at 02:15 PM.
    Nylon from Montreal