Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dubhead
    Folks,
    Well I took my '01 XC in to have the squeal issue repaired and it turned out to cost me $200!! The repair kit 30742265 cost $186.58 and labor of $19.60
    I think another good alternative would be to remove the center silencer and replace with the same diameter straight pipe. Much much much cheaper at >$50 than the $200+ new bracket.
    Interestingly, the noise level of the XC is exactly the same as before, this seems very strange since I thought the factory silencer would lower the amount of noise from the exhaust system.

Or if anyone wants, I can sell you my repair kit for $50
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

Wow...this post is AWESOME!! My car was making this noise terribly here in Rhode Island only when I was driving in heavy rain or slush and I couldn't figure out what it was. I took it to the dealer and the service rep. refused to fix it saying that this was belt thing and it was normal. Now I can walk into the dealer and have them install the service part. Thank you very much!
    2003 XC70 - White Ext.+Taupe Int.+Premium Pkg+Touring Pkg+Mud Flaps+Rubber Mats+Rear Skid Plate+Trailer Hitch+Headlight Protection

Default Snow Squeal

Exellent explanation I`m so impressed about this forum...
    Earlier this summer my wife told me about a noise when she was driving in heavy rain. The noise lastet for about 20-30 sec and then it was gone. I`d never heard it by myself, and the hole thing was forgotten,until yesterday, when we was on a short weekendtrip. Driving true wet snow and slush the noise was terribly for 10-20 sec. Home again this sunday evening, I performed a search on this forum, and after reading this thread I grab my Maglite and performed and inspection of my car.(XC70 MY03). And below are the result. And one final question; I`ve search the forum for any TSB # or service kit # regarding this issue but without result. Is it possible to get acess to the TSB adressing this problem?
    In advance thank you....!
    2003 XC70 -Black- 130 000 KM - Geartronic

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Default Thank you Art

Thank you Art, for the answer in less than 5 minutes...
    2003 XC70 -Black- 130 000 KM - Geartronic

I finally had this retrofit made about 2 weeks ago at my 30,000 check-up. After reading about it here, I asked for it at 7500 miles, but they didn't have the part on hand. I missed 15,000 and forgot at 22,500. This time, I remembered to ask when I made the apointment. I live 2 hours from the dealer, and wasn't prepared to make the journey for just this.

I've only had the issue in late winter/ early spring when the snow is very slushy, so I won't know if it worked for a while.

As with other problems I've diagnosed through this forum, my dealer claims to have never seen this before, and to never have installed this mod before I requested it.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

We had the tsb performed for this problem and then it came back about 8mo later. They had to readjust the hanger height.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

I had the TSB performed and the vehicle now exhibits the noise in rain additionally. It is going in for new ST's as they will have another crack at fixing the problem. I don't expect any sucess. -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Default Thanks!

Last night I was driving west on I-68 from Cumberland, MD to Morgantown, WV. The blowing rain turned to blowing snow and one of the worst blizzard/slush/snow conditions I've driven in outside of the Sierras. Nasty. As I was passing a bunch of trucks, I suddenly heard a loud squealing noise. At first I thought it was coming from a truck in the slow lane, but as I passed, the noise didn't go away. Finally I realized it was from my Cross Country. My first thought was a failing wheel bearing or something going wrong with the AWD system as the noise was coming from the rear. No warning lights, no change in performance, just a loud, loud noise. Thoughts of having a broken car and waiting for a tow alongside the road in a nasty snowstorm passed through my head. My stomach began to knot more than it was already from the road conditions. Suddenly, the noise went away. About five seconds later, it reappeared, then stopped again. Maybe I could make Morgantown and get a room for the night and deal with the problem in the morning. The noise never returned and I drove the rest of the way home to Ohio.

A quick search of the VolvoXC forum led to this thread. Wow. Such a simple issue and thankfully not a car killer. Thanks guys!

Now if it was only so easy to figure out why my car is periodically puking water onto the passenger floorboards. Pretty sure it is not a plugged sunroof drain but something to do with condensation, interior airfilter, AC system.

Tod.
    '02 V70 XC Ocean Race #271
    '05 XC90 2.5T Crystal Green - gone

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    ...Now if it was only so easy to figure out why my car is periodically puking water onto the passenger floorboards. Pretty sure it is not a plugged sunroof drain but something to do with condensation, interior airfilter, AC system. ...
    You need to close your sunroof when it rains! (-:

I had a new thermostat sensor put in and a week later the driver's side floor was covered with antifreeze. I thought maybe they overfilled something or left a hose not properly clamped or something. $1000 later, I had a new heater core installed!

I am starting to get very VERY VERY discouraged on Volvos.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast