Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XC 70 or 90

Question XC 70 or 90

Which car is generally better than the other?
    The XC90 or the XC70?
    Which is better offroad, comfort, driving experience, etc?

Question It's your choice

First of all it would help to know where in the World you are located as this will reflect greatly on the price you pay.

Secondly, it depends on what you want to drive, and what you want to use it for.

And finally the XC70 is coming to the end of its life, production is due to cease in about three years time when it will be replaced by two other like for like models.

If you give us some further clues as to your locale we can be more specific.

BTW Welcome

Default Both will please.

Quote Originally Posted by XC Volvo
    Which car is generally better than the other?
    The XC90 or the XC70?
    Which is better offroad, comfort, driving experience, etc?
    Thinking of buying? Both models are great with some similarities and some differences. Unless you want the extra size and height of the XC90 the XC70 is probably a better choice for most people--slightly quicker, more nimble and more economical. In my case, the desire to tow a trailer, haul a lot of gear and drive on primitive roads made the XC90 more attractive. As a tall guy with long legs I find the slightly higher step-in height and upright seating of the XC90 to be more comfortable, although the XC70 (which I have driven several times as a service loaner) is excellent.

Test drive them both and tell us what you think. Certainly the XC70 costs less if that matters to you.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Very different vehicles... I have owned the base wagon, and it's a lot smaller than the XC90. I have a good friend with an XC70, and he loves it, but wants to get an XC90... the 90 is basically a 70 on steroids... just bigger.. a bit more refined ride (quieter) as well. However, gas milage is far better on the 70.. as for off road, I have no idea which is better..
    2005 XC90 T6 Touring package, Versatility package, Climate package, Integrated Center Booster Cushion, Cargo Net, Wood Steering Wheel, Park Assist, Premium Audio
    2004 VW Passat GLX
    Previous Volvo's owned - '97 960, '01 V70 2.4T

Quote Originally Posted by CE750
    Very different vehicles... I have owned the base wagon, and it's a lot smaller than the XC90. I have a good friend with an XC70, and he loves it, but wants to get an XC90... the 90 is basically a 70 on steroids... just bigger.. a bit more refined ride (quieter) as well. However, gas milage is far better on the 70.. as for off road, I have no idea which is better..
    Off road they are nearly identical in approach & departure angles, clearance & wheel base. Since neither has full time 4wd or a low range, neither is ideal for much off roading. However the xc90 probably does slightly better.
    I think the biggest difference between the two is interior space and the ability to have a third row that adults can fit in (xc90).
    Both are extremely comfortable and safe.
    I have heard some pretty scarey numbers on the 90's mileage, though.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

I remember a while ago a Newbie posed a general question, and a whole load of members, gave a lot of advice - and some got flamed in the process - mainly because the questioner didn't say what his circumstances were in the first place.

It transpired that he had a whole load of kids (so only '90 appropriate), but then they could go in his van and so on and so on. Most unsatisfactory overall. He went on his way unhappy, and I suspect did all who tried to help.....

I notice that Mr. XC Volvo hasn't - as yet given any response, so

Come back Mr. XC Volvo and tell us what your needs and desires are, then we can help you

For example:-
    Where are you
    Annual mileage
    No: of passengers
    Is performance an issue
    Do you want a fashion statement
    Do you need Off Road or Soft Road
    Are you going for new or used

etc etc.
    Mike.

Mine: XC 70 Sport 2009 D5 Inscription Electric Blue.
    VNS, DSTC and 4C, BLIS, LDW ventilated leather ACC; Yummy.

All gone now - XC70 MY 13 SE LUX Flamenco red - goes better than the '09 even with its "Polestar plus" upgrade. I justy miss the PCC...

Hers: V60 Flamenco Red 215HP D5 (like above XC70 spec)

Quote Originally Posted by AWD*V70XC
    And finally the XC70 is coming to the end of its life, production is due to cease in about three years time when it will be replaced by two other like for like models.
    BTW Welcome
    AWD..is it true that the XC70 will end it production in about 3 years time? Any reason why? It such a beautiful and rugged car to drive around. What a pity if it is true...
    2005 XC70*Lava Sand* Premium Package* Bi-Xenon Light* GSM Phone* Xenia 16"* Rear Sonar* Auto Dimming* Huber Optik flim*

03' Volvo S60 Metallic Silver
    02' Volvo V40 Red
    02' Volvo S40 Metallic Silver

Question XC70 or XC90- What to Buy?

Hello-

I need some help! I am also wondering what is my best bet in terms of reliability, longevity of style, etc.- XC70 vs. XC90? We're looking to buy soon bec/ my old car is on its "last legs" (Toyota Camry). I have never owned an SUV.

I live in New England & will mainly be using vehicle for transport (less for off-road). At this time, I have an infant & plan to have another child shortly, so I am not transporting teenagers, although I am sure that I will need space (i.e., BMW 3-series & Merecdes C-class are too small). Since we tend to hld on to our vehicles for awhile, is it true that Volvo plans to rework the XC70? I don't want to purchase something that will look obselete in few years.

Also, did anyone compare XC90 to Acura MDX. Reviews of both tend to rate MDX much higher in terms of reliability. Finally, whenread Consumer Reports 2004, it gave XC70 a "recommended", but the XC90 "reliability" received negative reviews.

Any help w/b great. Thanks!

Thumbs up

I have an XC70 and XC90 both with the 2.5T engine. Here are my thoughts:

XC70 (or, in my case, V70 XC) is faster, lighter, and gets better fuel economy (about 25% better). It is very capable in bad weather and off-road.

XC90 is bigger, somewhat quieter, easier to get in and out of due to size and height, and has more storage room. It handles very well for the type of vehicle it is. As secure feeling in bad weather and off-road as the XC70 - maybe moreso only due to the sheer size of the vehicle rather than the capability.

The Acura is a fine vehicle. A number of my friends own them. I don't want to be part of the pack. The XC90 is, IMO, equal to or better than the MDX. Longer wheelbase for a better ride and a more sophisticated suspension/AWD system.

There really is no equal to the XC70. The Subaru is good, but not as nice. The Audi is smaller and more expensive. The XC70 is truly a fine vehicle.

Consumer Reports bases recommendations on reliability. I've never had a lick of problem (knock on wood) with these two Volvos. Apparently some of the early models had some electronic issues. In my experience, Volvo dealer service has been outstanding, so I'm not sure I'd worry about what the consumer's union thinks.

Tod.
    '02 V70 XC Ocean Race #271
    '05 XC90 2.5T Crystal Green - gone

Question XC70 or XC90- What to Buy?

Thank you for your response. It's good to hear that you have had nothing but good experiences w/ both vehicles. My husband & I have decided to go w/ Volvo, but now it's whether to go with the XC70 or XC90. In my test drives, I seemed to have similar experiences, so it's tough to choose.

I have read in this forum that the XC70 may eventually be redesigned in 2 or so, & I don't want to buy something that may look antiquated (since we tend to hold on to our vehicles). Is the XC70 an older design, vs. XC90, which is a newer style?

Finally, does anyone find it difficult lifting heavy loads, such as an infant, in & out of the car due to the height (i.e., I have bit of nerve problem in arm). Since I have never owned an SUV, it's hard to know in advance.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast