Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Volvo in Asia gives 3 years warranty and maintenance free package. So for the next 3 years, all I have to pay (if any) is just my tyres if it wear off.

In Asia, no doubts that there are more Japanese car than European car on the road. But jsut imagine... (IMO)... If you were to have a head on collision between a Japanese car and a Volvo...whcih car would you rather be in?! I will take a Vovlo anytime! I have seen too many accidents in my country and I have actually seen a japanese car crashed right into a Volvo and guess what?! The japanese car was totally "disfigured"..but the Volvo has it fare share of impact but it was still ok except for the bumper...!!

No doubt that the Japanese cars are less expensive to maintain but if you have a family with kids, I don't think anyone wants to be compromise on safety...
    Last edited by CrazyTiger; 12-20-2004 at 03:00 AM.
    2005 XC70*Lava Sand* Premium Package* Bi-Xenon Light* GSM Phone* Xenia 16"* Rear Sonar* Auto Dimming* Huber Optik flim*

03' Volvo S60 Metallic Silver
    02' Volvo V40 Red
    02' Volvo S40 Metallic Silver

Default Traded a MDX for the XC70

I had a leased 2002 Acura MDX that I traded 2 years into the 4 year lease with 37000 miles for the XC 70. Here's why, the MDX was a good vehicle and my family misses the room and every couple of months, like today, we miss the 3d row seat. On the other hand, the fit and finish of the MDX is not even close to the superior XC 70. The Honda Nav system beats Volvo hands down. The MDX is having transmission problems and there are other smaller but annoying problems and the maintenence is not cheap. And yes the MDX was boring. I have no regrets with this trade. I leased the Volvo and will trade it before the warranty expires. Finally, I saw a 2001 XC 70 at a dealer with 110,000 miles on it and the interior was flawless. Most American and Japanese vehicles do not wear as well.
    2004 XC 70, Black, Graphite, Navi., Xenon and lots of other goodies.

I disagree that the Honda Nav system beats the Volvo one hands down. There may be some features that are better, but the Volvo one more than stands up to any I've used.

Now first I have to say that the Volvo one I use is in my wife's new S40, and it is slightly different from the one in other Volvo models (brighter/sharper screen, better steering wheel controls, flips up instead of rising up). But the Volvo version has gotten me into and out of places that weren't on any maps I had. My inlaws also love the fact that they can change the language to Spanish. Most importantly, I love that Volvo mounts the screen on top of the dash so your eyes are never far from the road (and that it's an independent screen).
    2008 Ice White/Graphite Leather XC70
    1986 Vespa T5

Default Volvo vs. Subaru

I've read some comparisons here between Volvo and Subaru. There's one area that I believe subaru falls down to Volvo and many other cars -- safety. I know what the crash tests tell you -- they're the safest in their class, etc. Sorry, but when you drive one, you can't help but feel like a flea on the road compared to the many Suburbans, Excursions and Hummers that populate the road -- not to mention full size pickups.

They're dinky cars. If it wasn't for the AWD, they'd be in the Kia or Hyundai weight class. And their continued refusal to out frames around their windows just befuddles me.

The XC just seems so much more substantial in comparison -- I feel like I've got a fighting chance against the many beasts out there.

Talking

The XC just seems so much more substantial in comparison -- I feel like I've got a fighting chance against the many beasts out there.[/QUOTE]

Let's put it this way: My 965 Volvo was plowed into at 70 MPH by an SUV, and I and my wife walked away from the accident. My V90 was plowed into by a Ford Excursion, and I walked away from the accident whereas the Excursion flipped over and was totaled. I would say that Volvo is an excellent alternative to all these SUVs that make so little sense. I wonder how previous generations survived without SUVs

Ta-ta, j.
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

Quote Originally Posted by Morvran
    I disagree that the Honda Nav system beats the Volvo one hands down. There may be some features that are better, but the Volvo one more than stands up to any I've used.
    ...I love that Volvo mounts the screen on top of the dash so your eyes are never far from the road (and that it's an independent screen).
    I don't have my NAV dvd yet so I haven't played with the Volvo system, but I have read the manual several times.

For me it comes down to a few key issues/features.

Volvo absolutely wins for visibility. When you look at the NAV screen what's happening on the road is still in your peripheral vision. That's pure safety and a big deal. IMO, Volvo has to have good visibility because it looks like you have to drill down through too many menues. The buttons for Volvo aren't exactly ergometrically located; you really have to torque your hand around to access the two buttons and joystick pad. It's missing an auto dimming mode which is easy via the sunset time in the signal.
    Volvo doesn't offer the ability to predetermine a route. If it uses the same data as Mapquest NAVTEQ to determine the route, I think I may be disappointed. This is a major flaw. If the system won't go the direction I want or am told is the best way to go and it has to autoroute, I have to know which way I am going and not be blindly following the NAV directions, which sort of defeats the purpose for those that are directionally challenged. Not that I am and not that there is anything wrong with that. For example when I drive from DC to CT I go over GWB and then up the merrit, taconic, hutch, etc. If I know I am supposed to go that way, but not where the turns are it would be easy to go right by. Some systems auto-route, but allow you to insert a turn ahead of time allowing the machine to redo the route.

Honda wins for ease of input. I'm a big fan of touch screens rather than scrolling through menus. Yes it's messy, but that's what windex is for. Additionally, the voice activation on Honda's system is awesome. The Honda doesn't offer split screen which is a really cool Volvo feature.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Default We will see

My Volvo XC70 2004 is my first European car. I live in the States, but have a European (Eastern) background. When I just came to the US I have started with Hondas, had two of them (1982 and 1989, both used). Then we switched to Mitsubishis (Expo 1995 and Galant 1998, both new). Now, along with an XC70 we have a Toyota Sienna 2004. Our family in Europe went through VW Golf, Passat, Mitsu Lancer, Mitsu Pajero (Montero) and now has VW Bora (Jetta) 2002, Toyota RAV4 2004 and Landcruiser Prado 2004. Japanese makes are certainly more reliable mechanically than the European makes, even a MItsubishi, which has really bad time in the USA. But a car in the class of Accords/Camries/Galants/Subarus are certainly not a match to the Volvo XC70. Ergonomics, controls, solid feel, safety record is all in favor of the Volvo (I once said to my wife, that last time I had such a comfortable feeling, was probably in my mother's womb. I just hope that the reliability of our XC70 will be good (although, JD Powers rates it pretty high at 4 out of 5). Plus, free scheduled maintenance for 3years/36K should help. I tend to keep the cars for at least 6+ years and would hate to see it falling apart for no apparent reason.
    2004 Volvo XC70
    2012 Volvo XC60 T6
    2018 Volvo XC90 T5

IMO.....XC70 Rules.....

Shouldn't we have a poll here?!
    2005 XC70*Lava Sand* Premium Package* Bi-Xenon Light* GSM Phone* Xenia 16"* Rear Sonar* Auto Dimming* Huber Optik flim*

03' Volvo S60 Metallic Silver
    02' Volvo V40 Red
    02' Volvo S40 Metallic Silver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12