Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's the significance of your avatar?

I just changed mine to this skiing picture my son took of me. I used to have a picture of the rear right corner of my car. When I took that picture, I thought there would be enough detail to show the proportions and tread of the WR 235/60 tires. But the tire looked like a blob at 80x80 pixel resolution.

Despite low resolution, avatars are still intriguing because they tell something about the person. My story is that I have always been a skier, I worked in a ski shop in college. I am 5'7" and used to ski 210cm GS skis. Now I am on these 160 slaloms that carve like scalpals. I used to ski bumps, now I am a gold ranked NASTAR gate skier. My how things change. Especially me, I can't believe we have two station wagons! But wouldn't have it any other way.

It would be fun to say that the Volvo gets us up the hill to the resort. But we leave it in the garage and drive the Subaru. Skiing parking lots can be terrible on cars

What's the significance of your avatar, if you don't mind sharing?
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Mine's just a pic of the back window of our car, with my company logo somewhat readable, pretty boring

Nice pic gibbons, willing to share that in a little higher resolution?

I'd love to get a few pics of my skiing, but problem is I usually ski solo on weekday mornings on Cypress, a relatively small, local mountain compared to the almighty Whistler! Tough to find friends who have the same scheduling flexibility and are willing to spend money skiing Cypress when Whistler is so close. That said though, hopefully I'll get a few shots from one of my weekend trips to the big hills this year

And not to downplay the importance of the other off-topic threads, but this one probably belongs over in the Off-Topic forum. That said though, we all know this will get a lot more exposure here and I'm quite interested to see the replies it will receive. So, I'll leave it here for the time being
    01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite/Touring & Versatility Packs/No Mods
    Servoweb Technologies developers of web stuff...
    Paddle Surf Canada
    CanSkier.com Skier Community

Default Speed

I've always liked speed. Fast cars, planes, rockets, computers, etc. As a child I was tired of just flying my glider so I attached a jetx rocket to it such that when it's propellant exhausted it was perfectly balanced with a very shallow glide angle. The rocket allowed the glider to soar quickly to around 500 feet and then it glided gloriously above the trees with me running like crazy keeping it in sight. I'm a performance freak. Fast is good. Striving for performance usually brings out the best in any design, has mind-boggling/interesting/unique challenges and the techniques and solutions often employed are directly usable in and benefit 'lower-end' products of similar design.

My avatar is a military plane flying at high speed with a standing compression wave sitting on it. This lasts but for a few moments and is quite difficult to capture on film.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Default Obvious...

I think I'm pretty boring too!

Someone wanted to know where in the world I got my name written on my XC's tailgate. It will stay a secret for generation to come!
    Raynald
    Former owner of a 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue
    Sept 2003 - April 2007
    « Sold » with 167,427 km on the clock, to my stepson...
    Still proudly showing volvoXC.com Sticker for posterity !!!

Default Cycling

Mine is pretty obvious as well. A buddy of mine took this picture while descending around 40mph down a road in Castle Rock, CO. He was in front of me and holding the camera behind his back, aiming with a few verbal hints from me, and then took the shot. It's probably a once in a lifetime shot considering all the luck involved in lining up the shot correctly.

I was putting in around 2,500 miles/year but sadly, I think I've only been on my bike twice since my daughter was born a little over a year ago.
    2004 Volvo XC70 - Ruby Red Metallic/Graphite Leather, Premium, Touring, Bi-Xenon, Bluetooth, and iPod Direct Connect
    2011 Honda Pilot EX-L - Silver Metallic/Grey Leather

Mine is the first pic of the XC when I got it home!
    FrancisD
    2006 XC90 V8 7 pass
    1999 M3 cabrio

I just added one. Considered a picture of me climbing Mt. Shasta with a shadow of the mountain behind me. But I decided on an automotive theme; me and my last road race car on starting grid at Thunderhill Park, CA. The car is a 1994 Neon ACR ("American Club Racer" model). I raced this car from 1996-1999 and won an SCCA "National" road race at Sears Point in class SSC, 1998.

I also ski (mostly 3 pin telemark skiis these days), do a bit of mountaineering, backpacking and biking.

Cheers,
    Dave

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

The XC is the perfect vehicle for our paddling exploits. For the past six years, our home base for sea kayak trips has been Vancouver Island and our favourite spot to paddle has got to be The Broken Group in Barkley Sound. The scene in the avatar was actually taken two summers ago on Maligne Lake in Jasper National Park.

That said, ya gotta love that avatar of Barry's!

I've spent a long time in the ski arena. I've been a volunteer ski racing coach for the last ten, coaching athletes at the Junior Olympic level through the club level, a volunteer ski patroller for the last four, and a ski racer for 15, 14-15 here and a year in racing in Europe.

We do a lot of video analysis so the coaches are always getting filmed with the kids. The pic is from some random GS training at our hill.

My passion for skiing is just a hair ahead of my passion for climbing, but behind my passion for my wife and kids. What position is Bill in the line? Like Tooberand, kids keep me far too busy for me to enjoy much cycling, climbing or skiing anymore.

If we had an avatar vote, I'd have to go with Barry for having the coolest one, followed closely by cbob.
    By the way, how do you guys make the avatars move?

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Quote Originally Posted by tooberand
    A buddy of mine took this picture while descending around 40mph down a road in Castle Rock, CO. He was in front of me and holding the camera behind his back, aiming with a few verbal hints from me, and then took the shot. It's probably a once in a lifetime shot considering all the luck involved in lining up the shot correctly.
    Sometimes the story of the photo is more interesting than the photo itself! (It is a nice photo, too.)

My avatar is from a video I shot at the Drive For Life event at Laguna Seca. It shows an XC90 during the moose avoidance maneuver. Seemed appropriate. Guess I could have done a gif animation.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast