Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

BlueFalcon, there have been many posts - some of which have been supported by video clips. I suggest you do a search on "awd" using the tab on the top part of the display, while you're looking around the features, please would you go to "User CP" and put some indication (City, State, Country) of your location, just in case you're in Florida (and don't need to know about snow (HaHa). It would help us.

Back to the subject. The consensus is that the earlier XC models were fine (or better) in the snow - If the car is moving. If the car is stationery and the front wheels lose their grip the the awd may not get you moving, once you're rolling it's fine.

If this is a serious problem for you then '03 models and upwards don't have this problem.

For the '01s - well do look at the posts and make your own decision; some members had "challenges" on a very few occasions whilst others have none. I don't think its a very serious problem, more an irritation.
    Mike.

Mine: XC 70 Sport 2009 D5 Inscription Electric Blue.
    VNS, DSTC and 4C, BLIS, LDW ventilated leather ACC; Yummy.

All gone now - XC70 MY 13 SE LUX Flamenco red - goes better than the '09 even with its "Polestar plus" upgrade. I justy miss the PCC...

Hers: V60 Flamenco Red 215HP D5 (like above XC70 spec)

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Outfitted with a proper set of winter tires our XC becomes a virtual snow machine. We will be entering our 4th Alberta winter and, up to this point, it’s been a great partnership. With winters here lasting 5-6 months of the year, I can’t think of any other car based AWD vehicle I’d rather drive. Now all that's needed is a plow attachment.

Much of the joy of owning a XC lay in the fact that you can drive in conditions like this.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Falcon
    I am looking at purchasing a 2001 XC70. I had a presales inspection done and the technician told me that the Swedes have a special saftey feature for the snow. Its called "leave your car in the driveway" cause the XC70 does very poorly in the snow/ice. Surprising to hear this. What are your experiences?
    11 replies in about four hours

For the first point, most of the replies have come from people that I would not call regular posters here (well not unless you wound them up) and secondly I think you did not hit so much on a sore point but got an avalanche of responses from guys that envy your choice of car. Maybe the Techi guy is going to buy it for himself and wants to put you off.

I echo all the comments above/below and would feel safer driving a XC70 than a US (normal) car. But then, we have only given you our opinion fwiw the final word is yours, make it count.

Quote Originally Posted by AWD*V70XC
    11 replies in about four hours

For the first point, most of the replies have come from people that I would not call regular posters here (well not unless you wound them up) ]
    huh?
    as near as I can tell only the original poster of the question and one other person are newer to the forum than you. between them there is an average of better than 600/poster. Just because ppl come and go here is no reason to devalue their enthusiasm or commentary on the issues/vehicle.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

I have lived in South Lake Tahoe for thirty years and have driven many 4WD and AWD vehicles. With the exception of very deep snow I would prefer my 2003 XC70 to any of my prior vehicles. That is because it is more directionally stable than my 1999 Surburban and of course a much safer vehicle in a crash. That said, I watched a 2001 AWD XC become stuck in a flat driveway next door to me and have to be shoveled out from less that a foot of snow. I would not accept that performance. I think the mechanic's statement comes from the poor performance of the prior transmission when starting in slippery conditions. If traction from a standing start is important, get a XC with a Haldex transmission.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Default Magic in the Vermont Mountains

Having purchased a 99XC in January 04 we immeidately took it on vacation to the Green Mountains of Vermont IN A BILZZARD! It was by far the best handling car in heavy snow I have ever driven (and the 99 has the old VC AWD system like the 01 you are considering.) We went up and down the mountains in a virtual white out with cars all over the side of the road...and not a slip. We drove over 100 miles on I-91 up from CT in what finally amounted to about 12 inches of show and watched all the SUVs in the median. There may be better but I sure have never driven it. If you have an XC, keep good tires on it, and drive reasonably for the conditions you'll be fine. Don't walk away from this car because of the comments that your mechanic made about show handling ability. He hasn't a clue.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Quote Originally Posted by wgriswold
    That said, I watched a 2001 AWD XC become stuck in a flat driveway next door to me and have to be shoveled out from less that a foot of snow.
    happened to me.

aside from getting into a car with fewer mechanical problems, I am excited about moving into the Haldex awd.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Smile Humm...

Didn't have any problem getting out of my flat driveway that time!

Only thing I had to shovel was.. the car itself!
    Raynald
    Former owner of a 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue
    Sept 2003 - April 2007
    « Sold » with 167,427 km on the clock, to my stepson...
    Still proudly showing volvoXC.com Sticker for posterity !!!

Unhappy I knew it

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    huh?
    as near as I can tell only the original poster of the question and one other person are newer to the forum than you. Between them there is an average of better than 600/poster. Just because ppl come and go here is no reason to devalue their enthusiasm or commentary on the issues/vehicle.
    lww I never meant any harm but I knew as soon as I pushed the button I had done wrong, and I would have someone on my back. What I was trying to say was 18 posts about a new topic is great and in just 8 hours to have so many different people replying, sometimes it can get a bit boring with the same people answering all the time but it is great to see other people answering with fewer posts than me like tgrumaj = 167 posts, wgriswold = 31 posts, v70+xc70 = 18 posts, birddog = 87 posts, bouvier = 74 posts & ChuckK with 66 posts, with the exception of tgrumaj the rest have less then a 100 posts to their names and for what ever reason they visit or time allowed I am very encouraged to see their enthusiasm for the need to lend their voice to an enquiry from a newbee. Have I explained myself better this time or should I stop digging

PS; lww I did congratulate you on your 1000th post as an achievement to reach that milestone, regardless of lenght of time on the board, but in case you missed it, well done again

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Falcon
    I am looking at purchasing a 2001 XC70. I had a presales inspection done and the technician told me that the Swedes have a special saftey feature for the snow. Its called "leave your car in the driveway"
    I have never heard of that, and I live in Sweden so I should know. I wouldn’t bother listen to the technician he must be dreaming… No the Volvo XC does crawl threw snow more then well (Very well!).

/Mr_Westlake