Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Default Operation VEXED is now operational

Hello VEXED and prospective VEXED members,

As you may know VEXED (Volvo Enthusiasts eXposing Egregious Design) is the name selected for our efforts to strongly encourage (read “force”) Volvo into a recall of the electronic throttle module used on 1999, 2000, and 2001 70 and 80 series automobiles. This only applies to the problem of worn throttle position sensor potentiometers and not throttle body cleaning

On March 14th I sent a 1-pound package of failure analyses, postings from Volvo interest forums and about 100 complaints posted on NHTSB’s complaint web page. I asked for an answer by April 1st. April 4th, I received their answer and it is attached. As you could guess the answer is in so many words, ‘if it is not in warranty you are out of luck.’ So, by my interpretation, this means we are free to pursue other avenues of redress.

Many of you have asked what you can do to help:
    As I have mentioned before:
    Send complaints to NHTSB and Center for Auto Safety.
    If you want to be included as members of VEXED, send you name, address, car make and model, and a short statement of your ETM failure, where, when, mileage, cost, etc. Send it to [email protected], ( I just learned how to use Bcc, so even though I send messages out with many addresses you only can see yours and VEXEDVolvo.) We are not to the class action suit yet but I will be sending information to NHTSB and asking my US Senator to ask them to get on this safety problem. I will still be posting at volvoxc.com but we don’t read them every day.
    We did find that there were over 517,000 1999, 2000 and 2001 70 and 80 series Volvo sold world wide and 250,000 sold in the US. Now if we just knew how many ETMs were sold by Magneti Marelli we would have a stronger case.
    Can you get me parts? See http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...light=throttle and page down to 105, or go directly to http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=105
    You might be able to get an out of warranty devices from the dealer but an independent garage might be more likely.
    If you would like to include a picture of Abraham Lincoln to help with postage and printing expenses it would be appreciated.
    I will keep you updated on our efforts as they are firmed up.

Don Willson
    [email protected]
    Last edited by DonWillson; 04-06-2005 at 08:28 AM. Reason: wrong word

Don, Letter was your typical corperate brush off. As you said, you were not surprised and nethier was I. I dont think your package got past customer service rep. Too bad.

I guess Volvo thinks we all drive around town as stated that the car is designed to go into "limp mode" for a short drive to the dealer.

I wounder if any of these PR people are capable of an independant thought. Letter might as well have been a form letter, may have been. Maybe my next car will be a Lexus.
    2001 XC base model with touring pkg.

Exclamation Survey

Can we do a survey on this site to determine out of all owners involved here, how many have had the problem once, twice, more, or not yet -to see of all the viewers of the thread have the problem. I for one, have not yet had the failure, but only have 1000 miles on the car since I purchased it used.

I would start the survey, but I think Don may want to stay in the lead.
    Lee
    99 v70xc
    1984 Porsche Carrera Targa
    Get a manual and work on your Volvo yourself!
    Best cars to work on bar none. (although we may have to...)

My C70 sees little in-town driving, that is why I got over 60K before it failed.
    Ex-C70 owner
    ---------------
    VEXED

Our friends in Rockleigh, NJ, don't seem to understand why the defective Fiat throttle body is dangerous. They think the defective Fiat throttle body is the Volvo owners fault, i.e. bad gas, lack of maintenance, we chose to live in a "sparsely populated area," we should expect the engine to die because a Volvo is a "sophisticated" car, etc.

I have a suggestion. Why don't you/we call and tell them to fix the defective Fiat throttle bodies? They have a telephone number. 1-800-458-1552. Give them a call. Explain to them, as a customer, why Volvo needs to fix the defect? If you'd like to have a little fun, ask for Ms/Mrs. Susan Campbell. She is the lady that wrote the letter back to Don Willson blowing off his request for a recall. I have already talked to her. She simply doesn't get it. Parrots the company line. See how many excuses you get.

Better yet, send them a letter. I'd send it to:

President
    Volvo Cars North America LLC
    7 Volvo Dr.
    Rockleigh, NJ 07647

You won't get a reply from the President. He's too busy. He doesn't have time to be interested in what Volvo customers want or think. You will, however, get a written response.

Let Volvo know what it is like to have your trusted Volvo die and know that it will die again. Explain what might have happened if your Volvo had died in freezing weather, on a busy freeway, etc.

The least effective thing to do is probably to send an email to them. Their email address is: "[email protected]".

It is ironic that the deparment you contact is called "Customer Care." The reality is that the people working in this department have the job of explaining that Volvo doesn't "care" about the safety of customers. They will disclaim any knowledge of the defect. Will refuse to tell you how long the replaced Fiat throttle body might last. Knowing that their cars die, they will actually try to sell you towing coverage for $69./yr! How's that for chutzpah?

Come back and post Volvo's response.

Edmonds17

Default How about trying NHTSA

Maybe we are bothering the wrong people. Volvo customer service probably isn't the best pressure point. I'm sure they got a highly efficient process for deletion or standarized response to email and letters. Ringing the phone of a customer service rep or manager just make their day a little more miserable (they already deal with complaints all day, what is a little more and all in the same direction) They are not the decision makers. Unless they get a consistent diet of calls that say "this failed, this person died". They probably don't even have the ability to raise the red flag up higher.

I don't know all of the key pressure points for safety based decisions at car manufacturers. But I'd bet a government transportation safety agency in the US market ought to have their ears. Don's well researched info probably get a lot further in NHTSA. I would guess they have engineering groups and probably a component failure analysis capability? (or at least a channel for out sourcing?)

A quick glance through the following site and they have imposed fines etc. Volvo needs US government's approval to sell products here. They should respond to government regulatory and product testing agency's recommendations.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...cf37490008a0c/

I'll wait and hear what everyone thinks before considering what I can do to help. I'm thinking to give NHTSA a call to see if they can suggest a good process for them to understand the the nature + scale of this problem followed by an assessment of required actions.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Default Contacting NHTSA and Volvo Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64
    I don't know all of the key pressure points for safety based decisions at car manufacturers. But I'd bet a government transportation safety agency in the US market ought to have their ears. Don's well researched info probably get a lot further in NHTSA. I would guess they have engineering groups and probably a component failure analysis capability? (or at least a channel for out sourcing?)

I'm thinking to give NHTSA a call to see if they can suggest a good process for them to understand the the nature + scale of this problem followed by an assessment of required actions.
    Hang on just a day or so. I am pulling down all of the postings on NHTSA about or look like they might be, ETM faiures and building a spread sheet. I have asked their TIC (Technical Information Center) to see if they have done research.

As soon as I get the package I will send it to NHTSA and ask them for an immediate review and response to me.
    I will also meet with my US Senator and ask her to build a fire under NHTSA. I will post my letter and you all can contact your Senator and Representative.

A few of us are talking a Web site. I have 25 mb of space available in each of 5 accounts. I'm working on the site as we speak.

What I need are failed parts, more people to fill out a complaint at NHTSA and Center for Auto Safety and others.

As far as contacting Volvo I am still considering whether to post Ms. Susan Campbell's direct number. She was not happy to know that her letter to me had been shared with another person. He did not tell her that it has been posted on several bulletin boards.

Don Willson
    [email protected]
    Last edited by DonWillson; 04-07-2005 at 09:17 PM. Reason: need title

Default My Experience with ETM

After reading through this now lengthy post I decided to post my experiences (to date) with my ETM.

2000 V70 XC AWD
    45k miles
    Purchased from Volvo dealership in California (Hendrick Automotive Group)
    Volvo Pre-Owned Certified
    Extended Warranty

In January I detected slight or micro hesitations in the throttle while at highway speeds. I first I thought it was wind. Then maybe figured it was road conditions. After a few weeks of this I decided to see my dealer. The dealer upgraded the software in my ECM and detected no error codes in the system and sent me on my way (Software upgrades are not covered under warranty... even if they fix common problems)

Today I hit 45k miles so I brought it back to the dealer for scheduled maintenance (paid for by the dealer due to prior warranty issues not detected during certification). I had read all the posts on this board and went in armed with questions. The front desk technician balked a bit at my complaint and wasn't overly interested. I then asked for a real technician to drive the car with me in it.

The technician (who told me lovely stories about his 240) immediately detected the ETM problems and told me it would have to be replaced. I asked about warranty and cost. He said that it was considered a component of the Emissions System and that it was covered 7yr/70,000 miles. When we returned to the dealership he said he would pull the codes and fix the problem. I explained that in Janurary there were no codes yet the problem was there. He explained that they would pull out other diagnostic data (oscilloscope stuff... you'll have to excuse my forgetfullness here) but chances are the module would be replaced.

Question: Should I ask them for the part? After reading Don's posts I'm curious if I should send it in to Volvo?
    Last edited by billandiris; 04-08-2005 at 10:26 AM.

Default I suggest a new thread on this

Don,
    I suggest a new thread. With 14 pages, this is growing long. How about a new thread specific to the VEXED effort?

Just some mental bookkeeping...
    1999 XC70 Nautical blue/taupe, Cannondale Spica wheels, ipd skid plate (weekends)
    1991 Alfa Romeo 164S (daily driver)
    1967 Ford Mustang coupe (show car)
    ...and several other Italians ... (for fun)

Based on an off-thread conversation with Don, I'll be asking for the ETM if possible. If not, Don recommends to get the information off the part tag; "One is on the black cable connector and another is cast into the aluminum housing as a circle with two number separated by a horizontal bar"

Thanks Don... I'll report their findings tomorrow.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with the dealership. They are going to replace the ETM and no, I can't have the part. But I can get all the ID numbers off it before they return it to Volvo.
    Last edited by billandiris; 04-08-2005 at 01:47 PM.