Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Nope, the slits are on the opposite side of the footwell (toward the door and the wheel-hump).

While I was at my dealer today I looked at the new XC70 MY05 German version. Yes, it has the same cut as mine.

I let the master mechanic take a look at my car and his first reaction was, that he was surprised and he immediately told me that the carpet needs to be replaced. I asked him again to verify. He said it again - replace carpet. Now I told him what "we" found out and that the car in the showroom also has the cut and I just would like to know why the cut is there. He was really in shock and he promised me to check into it with Volvo. I have another appointment in a few weeks. Lets see what the outcome will be.
    hd; '04 XC70 OSD, 2.5T, autom., silver/charcoal.

Default "late update" on this issue -

I was at the Frankfurt auto show (IAA 2005) and spoke to Mr. Ruhe. A technical representative of Volvo Germany. I told him (among other things) about the cut in the carpet. We looked at the XC70 they presented (MY2006) and it also had the cut. He didn't know what it was. He promised me to get back.
    Well, after two weeks now he sent me an e-mail stating that this is used for accessories (?!?). Since he was very short with his answers, I asked for more details. Now I'm waiting for the answer.

Hi,

I am pretty sure the slit is for one of the child seat monting eyelets. I once installed these in my 940.

I'm surprised that they would mount a child seat in front of the passenger seat next to the center console?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234