Default Lesjofor HD Rear Springs vs. OEM

My mechanic broke my passenger rear spring and is trying to charge me through the nose to replace it. Tale as old as time. Needless to say I'll be going elsewhere and getting the parts myself...

Question is...

Do I just replace the one broken passenger rear spring, go with the OEM and make it easy on myself.

Or, do I spring for the Lesjofor HD springs, grab a pair of them and replace both, and run those with the stock oem shocks.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on ride height, handling.... or ever put those HD springs only in the back?

I don't use the wagon for a ton of hauling but occasionally load it up with a canoe on top and a bunch of gear inside.
    Last edited by continuousminer; 02-15-2024 at 10:13 AM.

I had Kilen HD springs in back. The ride was awful and they didn't hold the height as much as I needed. Converted to Nivomats and that was the best suspension decision ever.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Thats good to know. Can't believe I didn't mention this in the original posting but its an 07' XC70, I don't think this car has Nivomat suspension? ... I really should confirm that before I buy anything!

It was an option. You need two Nivomats, two springs and a sway bar. Stock sway bar is 14 mm, for Nivomats is 19 mm. S60R - 20 mm, V70R - 21 mm. I run Nivomats with the V70R sway bar.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/...ywords=nivomat

This is with Nivomats and about 250 lbs on the roof:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	9601

And, perhaps, another 100-150 lbs in trunk.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

I replaced rear and front suspension on my 04. I got the rear from FCP and and fronts from IPD only bc they have loaded/quick struts. The rears were a bugger but got it done.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!
    04 Volvo XC70 5LT 143k "Floatey" Ruby Red, Valvoline 0W40
    07 Honda Accord V6 120k Silver, Napa 5W20 Blend
    07 Honda Accord L4 130k Bronze, Napa 5W20 Blend

Ah, that's looking really good on your wagon with that weight, just not sure I can justify a full rebuild in the back right now... I may just do the one OEM and then wait and see down the line. I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for an R rear sway though... I'm guessing IPD sells versions of this too.

IPD's paint job is subpar. My IPD rear toe rods are all peeled and rusted to death. Every single adjustment includes a blow torch. A Volvo fellow's IPD sway bar even broke off. Stay away.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Geez what happened over there at IPD? Their 2/7/9 series sways are, or were, some of the highest regarded upgrades on those cars. I had a set that were pre-powder coating, i think they were galvanized or plated somehow, I entirely forget now. They rusted but not quickly. (I live in the beating heart of the salt belt) I've heard to stay away from their XC70 series sways in the front at least, but not from a quality control stand point, but that they are either not needed or do not enhance the handling of the car at all... Was always curious about it though since I knew they worked so well on the older wagons...

Did you go with the heavy duty springs then?

I did, and took them out after about 2 weeks. Nivomats + front XC90 + rear V70R sway bars is the way to go. And 16 mm subframe spacers Especially with a full length roof steel basket and camping stuff. You can not beat Nivomats.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)