Default 2011 XC60 Rear Trailing arm replacement

I have new bushing seated in my Ebay purchased used rear trailing arms, I'm heading down to Charlotte, to replace them in my daughter's xc60. I cannot find a single video dedicated to removing the trailing arm from the vehicle, the only videos I can find are instructions to replace the bushings in the trailing arms without removing the arm itself. I need to remove the arm, I have replaced many a rear wheel hubs on Volvos, but I have never replaced a trailing arm. My biggest concern is the rear springs, when I have the vehicle jacked up and I disconnect the lower end of the strut/shock is that spring going to jump out and say hello? If so, do I place a separate floor jack under the spring area? Or do I need to rent a spring compressor?

Once the car is jacked up from the frame, the majority of the tension is relieved from the springs and they did not pose a problem in replacing the front lower control arm.

Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc90bob View Post
    rear trailing arms,
    My biggest concern is the rear springs,
    Volvo recommends removing the springs before replacing the lower control arms.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	9593

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Volvo recommends removing the springs before replacing the lower control arms.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	9593
    Once you disconnect the shock from the control arm, you can pull the spring out, but it doesn't get in the way of removing or installing the control arm, so I just left it in it's cradle.

Two things I would point out to anyone tackling this project:
    1 - the wheel hubs are held in by torque 50 bolts, spray the crap out of these with penetrating oil and use 1/2" ratchet extensions instead of 3/8 and use an impact gun.
    2 - when reinstalling the new control arm, install the 3 bolts first, do not tighten but get them installed and threaded halfway and then work on the ball joint end, I used a floor jack to assist with getting the ball joint seated.