Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Cold start problem

I have a 2004 XC70 that doesn't keep fuel pressure in the fuel rail. If I turn key on and wait, then turn it off, then turn it on and wait and turn it off, the next turn, it starts and runs fine. Apparently my model doesn't have a fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail, only the Schrader valve. Could it be the fuel pump module? Or what?
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks, Grampy65

Am doing a "work around".....turn key on, wait 5 seconds and then engine fires up. Possibly the check valve in the fuel pump. Engine runs fine, once started.

Lately we've been noticing with our '04 that if it is restarted after running briefly, say 10 minutes, and sitting briefly, say another 10 minutes, it will crank, fire and die. Then the second attempt it will crank longer than normally, start and run rough for a few seconds before idling normally.

This is unlike a typical start, which since new is very sure, just a second of cranking, and it fires and idles normally.

All plugs and coils replaced within the last 5K miles, and throttle body cleaned about 20K miles ago. Does seem like a fuel pressure problem, so interested in hearing any insights.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

If you have a Schrader valve in the fuel rail you are in luck. Go to the harbor freight and buy a check fuel pressure gauge. Connect it to the rail and see what the pressure would be with car running. Then turn it off and see how long it takes to the pressure to drop. It never should drop to 0. Assuming running pressure is 3bar..the pressure after you turn the car off should be around 1bar which will allow it to start easily next time. If your pressure drops almost instantly to 0 then likely fuel check valve in the pump assembly is done. Given the fact that you are not describing rough idling with distinc aroma of unturned fuel upon initial start, I doubt you have a leaky injector. Most likely you will need fcp euro pump and key kit for around 250 and a new fuel filter for another 20.

Your scenario is more concerning for possible fuel injectors leak. If you can remove the fuel rail so the injectors can be see and turn ignition on/off without engaging starter. And look if you will see any leaks from injectors. In idea scenario there should be no leaks. I would recommend first doing the fuel pressure check as I described in original thread reply as well to better diagnose the issue. Prior to removing injectors I would recommend buying 5 new O rings since when you will be putting them back changes are those old dried rubber rings will be fighting you or will end up having a vacuum leak

If you've got over 100,000 miles - get your injectors rebuilt - less than half the price of new - with better matching of flow rates. Call this guy: https://hurstinjectorservice.com/ - he's done several sets of mine. My wife's XC, with over 290,000 miles on it, starts, runs, and idles, perfectly. Paul rebuilt the injectors on her car a couple years ago.

Now, you might still have a residual fuel pressure issue, which needs to be resolved, often with a new pump, but you'll be amazed at how much smoother and more powerful the car is after the injectors are cleaned, rebuilt, and balanced. The injectors are cheap enough to do, and it may be a leaking injector that's causing a loss of residual pressure.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

With all do respect for Mr ASTRO and his knowledge but I will allow myself to disagree on idea that cleaned injector is as good as new. It is a wear item and has also its limitations. The link provided shows ultrasonic cleaner(harbor freight $100) with connected pulse wires(can be made from old ignition system parts) and likely cleaning fluid similar to Wynns. Put it there for 3-4 hours and it will sure improve and clean some dirt. But the shape of the spray will never be the same. There also might be some differences between cc/min flow. For the price of $43 for brand new Bosch from FCP I would rather go brand new and will not have to bother with shipping mine to some guy, paying him for labor and them possibly paying for new o rings(the guy might be awesome and put new ones already). $43 for brand new Bosch with lifetime warranty is well worth it for me.
    However, we are talking in this thread about 2 issues which Grampy65 and Penhaven addressed. I think their scenarios are different and they both need to investigate the issue further not to turn into parts cannon scenario. it is very likely that both of them never will use fuel pressure tester again, but $50 invested into it might save them both significant amounts in diagnostics fee(my volvo dealer now charging $170 per hour. )
    P.S cuddos to ASTRO for keeping his xc running for more than 290k. I thought I might be the only one crazy with 01v70xc with 293k currently)

Quote Originally Posted by vova View Post
    With all do respect for Mr ASTRO and his knowledge but I will allow myself to disagree on idea that cleaned injector is as good as new. It is a wear item and has also its limitations. The link provided shows ultrasonic cleaner(harbor freight $100) with connected pulse wires(can be made from old ignition system parts) and likely cleaning fluid similar to Wynns. Put it there for 3-4 hours and it will sure improve and clean some dirt. But the shape of the spray will never be the same. There also might be some differences between cc/min flow. For the price of $43 for brand new Bosch from FCP I would rather go brand new and will not have to bother with shipping mine to some guy, paying him for labor and them possibly paying for new o rings(the guy might be awesome and put new ones already). $43 for brand new Bosch with lifetime warranty is well worth it for me.
    However, we are talking in this thread about 2 issues which Grampy65 and Penhaven addressed. I think their scenarios are different and they both need to investigate the issue further not to turn into parts cannon scenario. it is very likely that both of them never will use fuel pressure tester again, but $50 invested into it might save them both significant amounts in diagnostics fee(my volvo dealer now charging $170 per hour. )
    P.S cuddos to ASTRO for keeping his xc running for more than 290k. I thought I might be the only one crazy with 01v70xc with 293k currently)
    I would talk with Paul at Hurst Injectors - spray pattern is a big part of his rework. I agree that $43 is a reasonable price for new. But $17 as pre-emptive work is also reasonable. Your call.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Any updates guys?

Thanks for the tip about the pressure gauge. I don't think it's the injectors because I only have 51000 miles on them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast