Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Emergency brake assembly broken

I was driving my 2007 XC70 and out of the left rear came a couple of huge clunks and then a grinding noise. I suspect broken/separated ebrake shoes which I had happen once before. I took it apart and that’s it exactly what it was. EXCEPT a large metal lug which sits between the green new of the brake pads facing the rear of the car broke off which looks like it was attached the knuckle/hub. It’s made of cast or pot metal. Not exactly sure but in any event it looks like a very big and expensive job to repair.

A couple of questions:

-Can you give me insight as to what parts need to be replaced to get it back in order?

-Do I need to replace the parts or can I get the ebrake to work well enough on the passenger side to pass inspection. Basically,only use the right side?

The car has 221k miles on it, the timing belt should be replaced and I have a small Evan leak somewhere. It is one big repair away from the scrap heap but it barely burns any oil, the interior is in stellar shape for its age, I have pretty new tires on it, exhaust was replaced 3 years ago, PCV upgrade/repair has been done and many other things. All major maintenance is done regularly including transmission drain and fill every 15k miles.

So if I can pass inspection and keep it on the road I would like to. Any and all advice appreciated!!

Pic of the broken part. HAVING TROUBLE UPLOADING I keep getting an error message. Never had this problem before
    Last edited by 8pack; 08-22-2022 at 04:29 PM.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139