Default Program remote control 8685150

Ever heard the phrase, "If it aint broke don't fix it?"

So, I decided to go ahead and replace the battery on my key fob even though it was absolutely fine.
    I wasn't sure when was the last time the batt was changed so I went ahead and did it (trying to be proactive).
    But while doing this I threw off the programming in the remote and now I can't lock/unlock my car with it anymore.

There isn't much on it online and I tried sticking the key in the ignition and switching it to position 1 (5xs) and holding down all the buttons for 1-2 seconds.
    Found that dubious step by step here: https://itstillruns.com/volvo-keyles...s-5852333.html
    This obviously did not work....does anyone else have any ideas on how the heck to get this thing reprogrammed?

Will any of the buttons on your remote fob work? Try putting the old battery back in and see what you get. Another way to reset the electronics is to remove the battery cables and tie them together (for 10 minutes, 2 hours, overnight?). Make sure to read your OWNER'S MANUAL first. It has instructions on how to replace the car battery and it's good practice to follow them any time you're disconnecting cables as Volvo electronics can be finicky.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
    Will any of the buttons on your remote fob work? Try putting the old battery back in and see what you get. Another way to reset the electronics is to remove the battery cables and tie them together (for 10 minutes, 2 hours, overnight?). Make sure to read your OWNER'S MANUAL first. It has instructions on how to replace the car battery and it's good practice to follow them any time you're disconnecting cables as Volvo electronics can be finicky.

No, none of the buttons on the key fob work. Its completely deprogrammed. I didn't think about putting the old batt back in, Ill try that out tonight and see how it goes.

Your car (the CEM) is "programmed" to accept the signal from your remote. To do that (on a 01-07 xc70, where you have posted) requires a VIDA subscription, a dice unit and THE PIN CODE PRINTED ON THE BAG THE REMOTE WAS IN WHEN PURCHASED.

If your remote stopped working, has a good battery and it is installed correctly - it cannot be "reprogrammed" (unless you have the pin code, and Volvo does not keep that information, unlike a key code) It might be possible to send your CEM and your remote to someone like xemodex (aftermarket volvo module repair people) and have them manually program your remote back in (don't know if that's even possible) But that would cost more than a new remote and programming.

The 5 times turn key and then push button to program works - on a 1992-1997 Volvo. 1998 requires the old Volvo scan tool and a PIN code that you CAN get from Volvo to "program" a remote. 1999 and up - requires VIDA.

I have VIDA. But of course I'm not the first owner. So, that "code" or "pin" required is long gone by now. Good thing I have a second set of keys on hand. That's a pretty intense process but I guess it makes sense when you consider the why.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Your car (the CEM) is "programmed" to accept the signal from your remote. To do that (on a 01-07 xc70, where you have posted) requires a VIDA subscription, a dice unit and THE PIN CODE PRINTED ON THE BAG THE REMOTE WAS IN WHEN PURCHASED.

If your remote stopped working, has a good battery and it is installed correctly - it cannot be "reprogrammed" (unless you have the pin code, and Volvo does not keep that information, unlike a key code) It might be possible to send your CEM and your remote to someone like xemodex (aftermarket volvo module repair people) and have them manually program your remote back in (don't know if that's even possible) But that would cost more than a new remote and programming.

The 5 times turn key and then push button to program works - on a 1992-1997 Volvo. 1998 requires the old Volvo scan tool and a PIN code that you CAN get from Volvo to "program" a remote. 1999 and up - requires VIDA.